Sounders FC Original Osvaldo Alonso Signs with Minnesota United FC
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC original Osvaldo Alonso signed with Minnesota United FC on Thursday. Alonso is Sounders FC's all-time leader in appearances, starts and minutes after signing with the club prior to its inaugural MLS season in 2009, helping Sounders FC to four Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup titles (2009-2011, 2014), the 2014 Supporters' Shield and the 2016 MLS Cup championship. The San Cristobal, Cuba native is a five-time Team MVP (2010-2013, 2016), four-time MLS All-Star (2011-2014) and a 2012 MLS Best XI selection. His 339 appearances across all competitions are just 13 behind "Mr. Sounder" Zach Scott for the most in Sounders history dating back to 1974.
Alonso is honored for his 300th Sounders FC appearance across all competitions prior to a home match on June 21, 2017 (Corky Trewin / Seattle Sounders FC).
Alonso became eligible for MLS free agency after the expiration of his previous deal in Seattle, completing a 10-year run of service with the Rave Green. By joining Minnesota, Alonso is set to face Sounders FC twice in the upcoming campaign, first in Minneapolis on May 4 before a Decision Day matchup at CenturyLink Field on October 6. Major League Soccer unveiled Sounders FC's full 2019 schedule earlier this week.
OSVALDO ALONSO SOUNDERS FC STATISTICS - BY COMPETITION
COMPETITION GP GS MIN G A
MLS Regular Season 277 266 23,380 10 24
Audi MLS Cup Playoffs 25 24 2,183 3 0
Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup 15 13 1,361 6 2
Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League 22 18 1,809 2 2
TOTALS 339 321 28,733 21 28
A number of Alonso's teammates, coaches and executives in Seattle offer their remarks on the former captain's time with the club.
SOUNDERS FC OWNER ADRIAN HANAUER
"In more than 40 years of Sounders history, very few players have been as memorable and impactful as Ozzie Alonso," said Sounders FC Owner Adrian Hanauer. "An MLS original with our club, his transition from USL player to first team captain has been a remarkable journey to observe, and I am proud of all that Ozzie accomplished within our club. After a decade with this organization and six major championships, all I can say is thank you."
SOUNDERS FC GENERAL MANAGER & PRESIDENT OF SOCCER GARTH LAGERWEY
"We want to join with the rest of the Seattle soccer community in congratulating Ozzie on an incredible 10-season run with this organization," said Sounders FC General Manager & President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey. "Watching him play in this league over the past decade, I know how much he means to this city and the club's fans. We wish him every success in Minnesota."
SOUNDERS FC HEAD COACH BRIAN SCHMETZER
"We have seen many great players that have played for our club, but none have had as much influence as Osvaldo Alonso. His drive and determination to win was evident from the first day of training, his first game, and continued throughout all of the successful years he had with Sounders FC. I feel fortunate to have been able to coach such a tremendous player. We watched his game evolve, his influence grow to where he eventually led us as captain to our first MLS Cup. I want to personally thank him for his play for the last 10 years. We will miss 'El Corazon.'"
SOUNDERS FC SPORTING DIRECTOR & VICE PRESIDENT OF SOCCER CHRIS HENDERSON
"Ozzie has been a tremendous member of our organization for the past 10 years. Despite his numerous accolades, I think his contributions on the field have gone somewhat underappreciated, as he has been one of the best players across the league during his time in Seattle. He has been integral to so many of the club's most memorable moments and will always be a member of the Sounders family. I can't thank him enough and wish him the best of luck going forward."
SOUNDERS FC ASSISTANT COACH GONZALO PINEDA
"Coming to Seattle as a player in 2014, I formed a close relationship in midfield with Osvaldo, and have been proud to watch him grow both on and off the field in our time together as teammates and in my role as a coach. He is one of the best professionals I have had the honor of being around, and he will be missed within our club. To Osvaldo and his family, I say good luck in Minnesota and many, many congratulations on a fantastic career in Seattle."
SOUNDERS FC MIDFIELDER CRISTIAN ROLDAN
"From the get-go, Ozzie looked out for me. I felt that he would be a very good influence on me, personally and also as a player. He is a leader, a dynamic player, and just overall what a professional should be. I always viewed him as a complete package and was personally very excited to play alongside him and watch his habits. He's an incredibly gifted player and will always be remembered as a Sounders legend."
SOUNDERS FC GOALKEEPER STEFAN FREI
"'We are not finished yet.' There are many things you could remember Ozzie for, but those words will remain with me for the rest of my life. We had clawed out of a pretty dark hole in 2016. Ozzie's phrase served as a daily reminder to keep pushing hard and reach for the skies. Leading with unrivaled passion, El Corazon should be a shining example for any aspiring Sounder. Good luck mein Freund, you'll be missed."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 10, 2019
- Atlanta United Claims League-High 7 Awards at 2018 MLS Club and Executive Awards - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Announces 2018 Club and Executive Award Winners - MLS
- Peter Vermes Named MLS Sporting Executive of the Year - Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Holds Three Selections in Friday's2019 MLS SuperDraft Presented by adidas - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Holds Two Picks in Friday's 2019 MLS SuperDraft Presented by adidas - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC Original Osvaldo Alonso Signs with Minnesota United FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City SC Acquires 2020 MLS SuperDraft Second Round Pick - Orlando City SC
- Minnesota United Adds MLS Cup Winner Osvaldo "Ozzie" Alonso - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Re-Sign Defender Dave Romney - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Signs Center Back Alex De John - Orlando City SC
- MLS SuperDraft Presented by adidas Set for Friday, January 11 in Chicago - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Kick off Newly-Expanded Canadian Championship in July - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers, Liam Ridgewell Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Portland Timbers
- Sporting KC Announces 2019 Promo Schedule - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Morris Named as One of Three Finalists for 2019 MLS Comeback Player of the Year
- Leyva and Ocampo-Chavez Called into U.S. U-17 Men's National Team for 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Brazil
- Single-Match Tickets for Sounders FC's First Match of the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Go on Sale Tomorrow at 2:00 PM PT
- Sounders FC Secures Second Place in Western Conference with 1-0 Decision Day Win over Minnesota United FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Minnesota United FC - October 6, 2019