LA Galaxy Re-Sign Defender Dave Romney
LOS ANGELES - The LA Galaxy have signed re-signed defender Dave Romney, the club announced today. Romney, 25, has recorded 72 appearances in Major League Soccer during his time with the LA Galaxy since he signed with the club from LA Galaxy II in 2015.
"Dave has proven himself to be a dependable and reliable defender in our league," said Dennis te Kloese. "He has been an important part of this club since 2015 and we are pleased to re-sign him. We are excited that Dave will continue to represent the LA Galaxy."
In 2015, Romney became the first-ever player to sign with the LA Galaxy from LA Galaxy II, the club's affiliate in United Soccer League. Since then, Romney has become one of the club's most consistent players, making 72 MLS Regular Season appearances and 59 starts while notching three goals and five assists from his position in defense. The left-footed Romney has played in each position along the Galaxy's backline.
Romney had featured extensively with LA Galaxy II in USL in 2015, helping lead them to a tie for first place in the USL Western Conference standings that year before he signed with LA Galaxy. He made his first-team debut in the MLS on Saturday, July 25, 2015 in Houston on loan from Los Dos after making two International Champions Cup showings against Club America and FC Barcelona.
Born and raised in Irvine, California, Romney played in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy with the Irvine Strikers. He attended the University of San Francisco, where he earned multiple honors during his four-year standout career, including All-West Coast Conference Second Team (2014), West Coast Conference All-Academic Team (2014), West Coast Conference All-Academic Team Honorable Mention (2013), All-West Coast Conference Honorable Mention (2012, 2011) and 2011 West Coast Conference All-Freshman Team. In total, Romney played in 72 games during his career, including starting in all 19 games during his Senior season.
Romney and the LA Galaxy will begin with the 2019 Home Opener, when the Galaxy host Chicago Fire on Saturday, March 2 at 5 p.m. PT. Tickets to that match are on sale now, available here.
Transaction: LA Galaxy sign re-sign defender Dave Romney
Name: Dave Romney
Weight: 190 lbs.
Born: June 12, 1993
Last Club: LA Galaxy II
Birthplace: Irvine, California
Hometown: Irvine, California
Nationality: United States
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2019 Major League Soccer season at Dignity Health Sports Park are now available. Galaxy fans can go to www.lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2019 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. Fans can also call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) and press 2 when prompted to secure Season Ticket Memberships.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 10, 2019
- Atlanta United Claims League-High 7 Awards at 2018 MLS Club and Executive Awards - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Announces 2018 Club and Executive Award Winners - MLS
- Peter Vermes Named MLS Sporting Executive of the Year - Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Holds Three Selections in Friday's2019 MLS SuperDraft Presented by adidas - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Holds Two Picks in Friday's 2019 MLS SuperDraft Presented by adidas - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC Original Osvaldo Alonso Signs with Minnesota United FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City SC Acquires 2020 MLS SuperDraft Second Round Pick - Orlando City SC
- Minnesota United Adds MLS Cup Winner Osvaldo "Ozzie" Alonso - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Re-Sign Defender Dave Romney - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Signs Center Back Alex De John - Orlando City SC
- MLS SuperDraft Presented by adidas Set for Friday, January 11 in Chicago - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Kick off Newly-Expanded Canadian Championship in July - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers, Liam Ridgewell Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Portland Timbers
- Sporting KC Announces 2019 Promo Schedule - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy to Feature Herbalife Nutrition and Dignity Health on Jersey Sleeves During MLS Is Back Tournament
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Jonathan dos Santos to Miss MLS Is Back Tournament in Orlando Due to Injury
- LA Galaxy Add Juninho and Marcelo Sarvas to LA Galaxy Academy Coaching Staff
- Midfielder Juninho Retires from Professional Soccer
- LA Galaxy Live Scrimmage on Spectrum SportsNet Headlines Team Programming in Advance of MLS Is Back Tournament