Sounders FC Celebrates Frontline Healthcare Workers at Saturday's Preseason Match vs. San Diego
SEATTLE, WASH. - As Sounders FC hosts San Diego Loyal SC at Lumen Field tomorrow night in the Rave Green's closing contest of their preseason slate, the club today announced that it will use the match to honor frontline healthcare workers from Virginia Mason Franciscan Health (VMFH).
In an exclusive opportunity for what is otherwise a closed-door match, the club provided VMFH with over 200 tickets to be distributed to employees and their families, inviting them to enjoy the game in appreciation of the extraordinary work that they have done, and continue to do, in the face of the COVID-19 public health crisis.
"We are so incredibly proud of, and grateful for, our frontline workers," said Sounders FC President of Business Operations Peter Tomozawa. "As we prepare to welcome fans back to Lumen Field this season, it felt right that these community heroes be the first to see the Sounders on the pitch and experience the new matchday elements dedicated to creating a safe and healthy live sports experience."
VMFH guests in attendance will be the first to be introduced to the updated safety measures at Lumen Field, which include elements like required face coverings, pod seating, touchless ticketing, touchless restroom upgrades, new food and beverage protocol and more. Earlier this week, Sounders FC received approval from regional health authorities, including Public Health - Seattle & King County and the Washington State Department of Health, to welcome fans back to the stadium in a limited capacity.
The Rave Green close out preseason action this Saturday before opening the 2021 MLS season next Friday, April 16, hosting Minnesota United FC in a rematch of last year's dramatic Western Conference Final comeback victory. That match kicks off at 6:30 p.m. PT and is being nationally televised on FS1.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 9, 2021
- LAFC Hosts New England in Final Preseason Match Saturday at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Colorado Rapids Close out Preseason with Scrimmage against Phoenix Rising FC - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids Academy Launches Futures Program Geared Toward the Optimal Development of Young Players Across the Denver Area - Colorado Rapids
- LAFC to Host over 700 Vaccinated Essential Workers at Saturday's Preseason Match - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Celebrates Frontline Healthcare Workers at Saturday's Preseason Match vs. San Diego - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire FC to Stream Locally Broadcast Regular Season Games on Team Website & Mobile App Free of Charge - Chicago Fire FC
- LAFC Launches Innovative New Website - Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Signs Academy Product Beni Redzic - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire FC Announces New Partnership with AstroTurf - Chicago Fire FC
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Promotional Calendar for 2021 Major League Soccer Season - Columbus Crew SC
- YES Network Scheduled to Televise 29 New York City FC Regular Season Matches, Its Most Ever - New York City FC
- Inter Miami CF and AutoNation Partner to Drive out Cancer; Sign Multi-Year Stadium Naming Rights and Training Top Deal - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Portland Timbers - May 9, 2021
- Sounders FC Announces Date Changes to Two Upcoming Home Matches
- Sounders FC Jumps to Top of the West with 3-0 Home Victory over LA Galaxy
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. LA Galaxy - May 2, 2021
- Sounders FC Celebrates Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month