Sounders FC and RAVE Foundation Announce Seattle's NewHolly Neighborhood as Next RAVE Field Site
SEATTLE, WASH. - Seattle Sounders FC today announced that the club and its charitable arm, RAVE Foundation, have selected South Seattle's NewHolly - a Seattle Housing Authority neighborhood located between Beacon Hill and Rainier Valley - as the location for the next RAVE Field. Funding and efforts supporting the construction of the NewHolly field are being championed by Grammy Award-winning artist Ciara and her husband, Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, both of whom are part owners of Sounders FC.
Sounders FC midfielder Alex Roldan helps teach soccer skills at a youth clinic at NewHolly earlier this year. With support from Ciara, Russell Wilson and the rest of the Sounders FC Ownership Group, NewHolly has been selected as the next RAVE Field site to provide a safe environment for free play (Charis Wilson / Sounders FC Communications).
"Following our club's 'Family' event at Yesler Terrace last month, Russell and I were inspired to become directly involved with RAVE Foundation's mission to build free spaces for play throughout our city," said Sounders FC Owner Ciara. "We are so proud to support the NewHolly project and the benefits it will have on that entire neighborhood and the south end overall."
Ciara and Russell Wilson at last month's "Family" community event at Yesler Terrace Park, the site of RAVE Foundation's flagship RAVE Field. The couple is leading the way in support for the newest field site at NewHolly (Lindsey Wasson / Sounders FC Communications).
The commitment to NewHolly's space is intended to include not one, but two fields for free play, free soccer training, equipment, and access RAVE Foundation's impactful programming like GOALS for Art and Science of Soccer, among others. Support for the project is being spearheaded by Ciara and Wilson, along with the rest of Sounders FC's Ownership Group.
"In our search for the next RAVE Field location, we discovered that NewHolly is a perfect place, as it's a very passionate community and one that needs more space for open play," said RAVE Foundation Executive Director Ashley Fosberg. "The kids in NewHolly love soccer and want to play, and the community has taken it upon itself to find places for that - from surrounding neighborhoods to patches of grass or even streets and sidewalks. In partnership with Seattle Housing Authority and with the generous support and leadership of Ciara and Russell Wilson, we're thrilled to today announce RAVE Foundation's commitment to bring a soccer play space to NewHolly."
RAVE Foundation's RAVE Fields initiative exists to build both small soccer fields and futsal courts throughout the region, removing barriers for participation by providing places for kids to play freely, be physically active and safe, and to be inclusive stakeholders in their communities. The spaces opened by RAVE Foundation are unrentable by groups or teams, ensuring they remain open at all times for the communities that they serve.
RAVE Foundation opened its flagship small field at Yesler Terrace Park in the heart of Seattle in 2018 - as well as two mini-pitch futsal courts in 2019 - and will open the NewHolly location next year. Additional mini pitches and small fields are planned for 2020 and beyond.
In addition to the NewHolly field selection, Sounders FC has also developed a new program that allows Season Members to support RAVE Foundation's mission of building small fields for free play and using soccer as a vehicle to inspire youth and strengthen communities. Fans now have multiple opportunities to donate their time, talent or treasure to RAVE, including becoming a member of the RAVE Foundation Club - RAVE's Donor Group - or volunteering for RAVE events. Interested parties can find more information about both opportunities at RaveFoundation.org.
Beginning in 2020, Season Members who are unable to attend a match have the option to donate their unused tickets to RAVE Foundation, which will then use the tickets to provide families from RAVE communities like Yesler Terrace and NewHolly with special matchday experiences.
At the end of the season, Season Members who helped support RAVE will be invited to an exclusive Family Affair event to thank them for their generosity and to celebrate the collective impact being made in the rich and unique communities in the Puget Sound region.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 12, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: September 12, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC and RAVE Foundation Announce Seattle's NewHolly Neighborhood as Next RAVE Field Site - Seattle Sounders FC
- By the Numbers: In the Hunt for a Six-Point Swing - Orlando City SC
- Real Salt Lake Defeats San Jose Earthquakes 1-0 - Real Salt Lake
- Colorado Rapids vs LA Galaxy Notes - September 11, 2019 - Colorado Rapids
- Quakes snap two-match winning streak - San Jose Earthquakes
- Postgame Quotes: Colorado Rapids vs LA Galaxy - September 11, 2019 - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Falls 2-0 to Dynamo on the Road - Minnesota United FC
- Dynamo Top Minnesota 2-0 Behind Pair of First-Half Goals - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, Colorado Rapids 2 - Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC (1) - New York City FC (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 1 Toronto FC - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC, RAVE Foundation and Northwest African American Museum Present "Books & Balls" Giveaway Monday in Celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Sounders FC Announces New Partnership with Ticketmaster, Marking Rave Green's Return to the World's Leading Ticketing Provider
- Sounders FC Announces 2020 Team Awards
- Sounders FC Announces Gunbir Gill as Club's Official eMLS Gamer for 2021 Season
- Sounders FC Announces Roster Decisions to Conclude 2020 Season