Timbers Weekly Update: September 12, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - Continuing their extended homestand, the Portland Timbers play host to Eastern Conference side D.C. United, in a match presented by BottleDrop, on Sunday, Sept. 15, at Providence Park. Beginning at 12:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a national television broadcast on ESPN with local radio broadcasts on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland (13-11-4, 43pts) earned its second consecutive win at home, recording a 2-1, come-from-behind victory over Sporting Kansas City on Sept. 7. The Timbers leveled the match at 1-1 in the 83rd minute with a goal from Jeremy Ebobisse, while Brian Fernandez scored in the 94th minute, which is tied for the latest game-winning goal for Portland at Providence Park.
Fernandez (11 goals) and Ebobisse (9 goals) rank first and second on the team in goals this season. Fernandez's goal in the win over Sporting KC was his 15th in all competitions in 2019. For Fernandez, the goal was his fifth game-winning goal of the campaign, which ranks as the second-most game-winning goals in MLS. Valeri recorded his 16th assist in the match against Sporting KC, which ranks as the second-most in MLS, while Tomás Conechny tallied his third assist of the season.
Against D.C. United
The Timbers square off against D.C. United for the 10th time in the all-time series on Sunday. Portland leads the series with a record of 4-3-2, including a mark of 3-1-1 at Providence Park. The Timbers have won three straight matches against D.C. United at home, most recently recording a 4-0 win on Oct. 15, 2017. Over the last two seasons, Portland is 5-1-3 at home against Eastern Conference opponents.
Facing a quick turnaround, the Timbers square off against the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday, Sept. 18, at Providence Park. Beginning at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a television broadcast on FOX 12 PLUS (KPDX) with local radio broadcasts on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
TEAM MEDIA SOURCES
Television: "Timbers in 30"
Throughout the season, "Timbers in 30," hosted by Jake Zivin and Ross Smith, will offer inside access to the club and provide analysis with in-studio appearances from Timbers coaches and players. This week, "Timbers in 30" airs on Friday at 6:30 p.m. (Pacific) on FOX 12 Oregon with Timbers goalkeeper Steve Clark. Previously aired shows and "Timbers in 30" features can be found at www.timbers.com.
Radio: "Talk Timbers"
The Timbers' weekly radio talk show, "Talk Timbers," airs every Wednesday evening beginning at 6 p.m. (Pacific) on flagship station 750 The Game. "Talk Timbers" provides team and league news as well as interviews with Timbers coaches and players during the season, and also features regular updates on T2 and Portland Thorns FC. Timbers head coach Giovanni Savarese and forward Jeremy Ebobisse joined this week's show. Fans can submit questions, provide comments or simply follow the conversation on the show on Twitter with the hashtag #TalkTimbers.
Fans can tune in to the show live on 750 The Game or listen online at www.750thegame.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 12, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: September 12, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC and RAVE Foundation Announce Seattle's NewHolly Neighborhood as Next RAVE Field Site - Seattle Sounders FC
- By the Numbers: In the Hunt for a Six-Point Swing - Orlando City SC
- Real Salt Lake Defeats San Jose Earthquakes 1-0 - Real Salt Lake
- Colorado Rapids vs LA Galaxy Notes - September 11, 2019 - Colorado Rapids
- Quakes snap two-match winning streak - San Jose Earthquakes
- Postgame Quotes: Colorado Rapids vs LA Galaxy - September 11, 2019 - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Falls 2-0 to Dynamo on the Road - Minnesota United FC
- Dynamo Top Minnesota 2-0 Behind Pair of First-Half Goals - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, Colorado Rapids 2 - Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC (1) - New York City FC (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 1 Toronto FC - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 17, 2019
- Timbers, Thorns FC Name Collin Romer Vice President of Communications
- Paredes, Zambrano Called up for International Matches
- Timbers Clinch Berth in Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs with 3-1 Win over San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 3, 2019