Solar Bears Sign Stephen Johnson
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears have announced the club has agreed to terms with rookie forward Stephen Johnson on an ECHL Standard Player Contract.
Johnson, 25, begins his professional hockey career after spending the past four seasons with St. Mary's University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. As a senior this past season, he led his team in goal-scoring with 19 tallies, and added 18 assists for 37 points and 34 penalty minutes in 30 games while earning Atlantic University Sports Second All-Star Team honors.
In 119 total games with the Huskies, Johnson collected 76 points (31g-45a) and 104 penalty minutes. In his second and third seasons at St. Mary's, he was teammates with current Solar Bears forward Jake Coughler.
The Monton, New Brunswick native played major junior hockey for his hometown Moncton Wildcats of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, where he served as team captain his final two seasons and recorded 119 points (49g-70a) and 142 penalty minutes in 226 games.
Images from this story
Forward Stephen Johnson with St. Mary's University
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 21, 2020
- Allen Americans Build Marketing Unit with Tyler Vertin & Casey Rusnak - Allen Americans
- Americans Welcome Back Former Kelly Cup Winner Dyson Stevenson - Allen Americans
- Komets Re-Sign Brett McKenzie - Fort Wayne Komets
- Grizzlies Sign Diego Cuglietta for Upcoming Season - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Sign Veteran Forward Anthony Collins - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Extend Affiliation Agreement with the Buffalo Sabres & Rochester Americans - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Sign Stephen Johnson - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.