SOCKERS SQUEAK PAST STARS, 4-3.
KENT, Wash. - Philip Lund scored his fifth goal of the season and Chase Hanson's goal midway through the fourth quarter got the Stars within a goal, but Tacoma's last second shot just barely missed tying the game up and San Diego escaped the accesso ShoWare Center with a 4-3 victory. Kraig Chiles scored twice, including what proved to be the game winner, and had an assist to lead the way for the Sockers, who remain undefeated and have a commanding lead in the Pacific Division.
The defensive battle between the two clubs was led by both goalkeepers. Danny Waltman made nine saves including numerous foot saves in the early going for Tacoma. But it was Boris Pardo that had the upper hand, making 12 saves and allowing just three goals. It was the sixth time over the past three seasons that the Stars and Sockers have played to a one goal decision. Chiles started the scoring for San Diego and finished it off, scoring once nearly nine minutes into the game, and again with 12 minutes remaining. He now has 12 goals and 16 points total this season. Brian Farber and Raymundo Reza each collected goals for the Sockers in the victory.
Lund scored his fifth goal of the season on a free kick that was touched over to him by Joey Gjertsen to tie the game up 1-1 six minutes into the second quarter. Derek Johnson also got on the board once for the Stars in the second period. The Stars dropped to 2-3 this season and are now three games behind the Sockers in the Pacific Division. They are still tied for second place, though, with Ontario's loss to Baltimore on Friday night.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from December 12, 2017
- San Diego Sockers & Sockers 2 - San Diego Sockers
- Fury Lose to El Paso in Closing Minute - Ontario Fury
- Blast Defeat Florida 10-1 - Baltimore Blast
- San Diego Sockers 2 Media Release - San Diego 2 Powers Past Ontario - San Diego Sockers
- Mke Wave Defeat Tacoma Stars; Stay Undefeated. - Milwaukee Wave
- Game 6 Recap - Brownsville Barracudas
- Sesay's OT Goal Helps Fury Cool Heat - Ontario Fury
- Blast Edge Ambush, 5-4 - Baltimore Blast
- Baltimore Wins in Final Minutes of Game - St. Louis Ambush
- Heat Cool off Ambush - St. Louis Ambush
- Mke Wave Defeat Rival Kansas City Comets. - Milwaukee Wave
- SOCKERS SQUEAK PAST STARS, 4-3. - Tacoma Stars
- Fury Unable to Withstand Blast Attack, Lose 8-5 - Ontario Fury
- Silver Knights Topple Tropics 6-5 - Syracuse Silver Knights
- Blast Defeat Fury 8-5 - Baltimore Blast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.