Singer Hinders Keys in Loss
WILMINGTON, DE - A four-run fourth inning and a shutdown outing from Brady Singer hindered the Frederick Keys (18-20) in a 6-1 loss to the Wilmington Blue Rocks (23-16) on Thursday night at Frawley Stadium. Singer (4-2) was dominate, striking out a career-high 10 hitters over six scoreless innings to give Wilmington the series victory. Meanwhile, Frederick's offense ended their scoreless streak at 25.2 innings with a run in the seventh inning.
Wilmington jumped out early in the second inning thanks to a Brewer Hicklen RBI triple to right field. With the infield drawn in, Cristian Perez poked a single past second baseman Sean Miller to score Hicklen and give the Blue Rocks a 2-0 lead.
In the third inning, DL Hall (1-2) struck out the first two hitters he faced but things went south from there. MJ Melendez doubled, and Nick Pratto launched another two-bagger that scored Melendez to make it 3-0. After the play, home plate umpire Raul Moreno quickly ejected Hall. Justin Lord and Ryan Minor came out to argue with Moreno, and Minor was eventually ejected as well.
Once play resumed, Seuly Matias doubled on the first offering from Cameron Ming, and Dennicher Carrasco put the first pitch he saw over the left field fence to give Wilmington a 6-0 lead.
The Keys fought back in the fourth and had runners at the corners with one-out but failed to score a run. In the sixth, after Cole Billingsley doubled for his third hit of the day, Reyes singled to put runners at first and third again. Singer buckled down and retired the next three hitters, including a pair of strikeouts.
Austin Hays finally ended the Keys' scoreless innings streak when he scored Yeltsin Gudino on a sacrifice fly to make it 6-1.
Luis Perez was great in relief of Ming, tossing three scoreless innings while striking out three. Josh Mitchell and Robert Garcia closed out the final three frames for Wilmington.
The Keys return home to Nymeo Field on Friday night to take on the Salem Red Sox for a three-game series. RHP Blaine Knight (0-0, 1.50) starts for the Keys. First pitch is slated for 7:00 p.m. and the game can be heard on frederickkeys.com and the TuneIn radio app with pregame coverage starting at 6:45 p.m.
Starting Friday is Family Fitness Weekend presented by Premiere Dental Arts. Highlights include #AllCAPS Night with an appearance by former Capitals player Mike Knuble, Hail to the Redskins Night with Vernon Davis and Gary Clark sponsored by PMSi as well as two fireworks shows. For tickets, fans can call the Keys at 301-815-9939 or visit frederickkeys.com.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League's Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 16, 2019
- Woodpeckers Blank Red Sox in Series Finale - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Madrigal Smacks First Career Homer in 6-0 Win - Winston-Salem Dash
- Clark and the Carolina Bullpen Carry Mudcats to 4-1 Series Finale Win in Lynchburg - Carolina Mudcats
- Dash Avoid Sweep, Pelicans Blanked in Series Finale - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Defense Falters As Woodies Get Shut Out By Potomac - Down East Wood Ducks
- Mudcats Pitching Slows Down Hillcats Offense in Series Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Three-Run Fourth Inning Highlights 4-0 Potomac Victory - Potomac Nationals
- Singer Hinders Keys in Loss - Frederick Keys
- Rocks Offense Awakens to Take Series from Frederick - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (May 16 at Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Beer, Javier Promoted to Double-A Corpus Christi - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- May 16 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Family Fitness Weekend Includes Great Appearances - Frederick Keys
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: May 16 vs. Winston-Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash Invite All Internet Trolls to the Ballpark on May 20 - Winston-Salem Dash
- May 16 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.