Sims leads RiverKings past IceRays 1-0
Tyler Sims stole the show on Saturday Night making 34 saves in net to help the Mississippi River Kings hold off the Corpus Christi IceRays 1-0 from the American Bank Center. Dallas Costanzo scored the only goal of the game in the second period and it held up as enough for the win. The shutout loss was the second suffered in three games this week by the IceRays who fell to 6-8-1 on the year and 3-2 on their current six-game home stand. The RiverKings won for the sixth time in the last eight games. The IceRays won two of three against Mississippi this season. The IceRays are home on Thursday night to host the Arizona Sundogs at the American Bank Center to cap off their home stand on Champion Honda Night on Z-95 College Night. For more information, please contact the IceRays at 361-814-PUCK.
The teams played an exciting first period, but it remained scoreless. Both Dustin Traylen and Tyler Sims had acrobatic saves to keep the game tied 0-0 through the opening frame. The IceRays outshot the RiverKings 13-9 in the period.
In the second period, the theme remained with quality scoring chances at both ends and both goaltenders standing on their heads. Sims stopped Justin Quenneville on three point blank chances on an IceRays power play and then denied Quenneville later in the period on his second shorthanded breakaway of the game. At the other end Traylen was solid for the IceRays keeping the RiverKings at bay until Mississippi's Dallas Costanzo broke the scoreless tie on a slapshot through traffic from the top of the slot at 14:06. The goal stood as the only marker through the first 40 minutes. Both teams had 16 shots in the frame.
In the third period both Sims and Traylen continued their brilliant play and neither team found the back of the net, as Mississippi held off the Rays for the win.
Dustin Traylen (2-4) suffered the tough luck loss making 30 saves on 31 shots while Sims (1-2) earned the 34 save shutout victory. The IceRays power play went 0-6 while the RiverKings went 0-7 on the man advantage. The IceRays outshot the Kings 34-31.
The IceRays remain at the American Bank Center to conclude their six-game home stand on Thursday Night for Champion Honda Night on Z-95 College Night when the IceRays host the defending President's Cup Champion Arizona Sundogs at 7:05pm. College students receive $2 off of tickets with their school ID. Tickets to all IceRays games are on sale now at all Ticketmaster outlets or the American Bank Center Box Office. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or online at www.ccrayz.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 29, 2008
- Brahmas Win Fourth Straight Over Mudbugs - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Gorillas Deny Rage a Sweep, Win 3-2 - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Sims leads RiverKings past IceRays 1-0 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Sundogs Avoid Being Shutout, Fall to Laredo 5-2 - Arizona Sundogs
- Bucks Collar Sundogs, Win 5-2 - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees defeat Thunder - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Sims Blanks IceRays 1-0 in Texas - Mississippi RiverKings
- Thunder Clipped on Late Goal - Wichita Thunder
- Swiniarki's Hat Trick Caps Comeback - Odessa Jackalopes
- Rush Strike Gold in Home Opener - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers-Odessa Preview - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks, Sundogs Go Again Tonight - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale