SI Lands a Walkoff Late, 7-5
STATEN ISLAND, NY - Jake Sanford's two-run home run delivered a walk-off win for the Staten Island Yankees who took down the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, 7-5 in 11 innings at Richmond County Bank Ballpark at St. George in the series finale.
W: Wilson (1-3)
L: Mullenbach (1-2)
Cyclones HR: Ritter (4)
- In in the 11th inning, Jake Sanford slammed a two-run bomb over the trees in right field to bring the Yankees a 7-5 win.
- Ezequiel Duran's solo home run for Staten Island tied the game 5-5 in the seventh against Brian Metoyer.
- Antoine Duplantis singled in Ranfy Adon in the top of the seventh, breaking a 4-4 tie to give Brooklyn a one-run advantage.
- Down 2-0 in the top of the second, Luke Ritter destroyed a three-run home run down the left field line with an estimated distance of 459 feet, giving Brooklyn a 3-2 edge.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Luke Ritter: 1-3, HR, 3 RBI, R, 2 BB
- Yoel Romero: 2-5, 3B, R
- Antoine Duplantis: 1-5, RBI
- Mitch Ragan: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
NEWS & NOTES
- Brian Metoyer struck out a career-high eight batters in three innings of relief.
- Luke Ritter's 459-foot blast in the second inning registered as Brooklyn's longest home run of the season, surpassing Joe Genord's 412-foot Opening Day blast.
- Cyclones arms tossed four wild pitches, bringing the season total to 61. Last year's team threw 50 wild pitches for the entire season.
Cyclones at Vermont Lake Monsters - Wednesday, 7 p.m.
Centennial Field - Burlington, VT
Probables: RHP Nathan Jones (0-0, 0.00) vs. RHP Michael Murray (2-0, 2.86)
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Staten Island Falls to Brooklyn in Opening Game of Series - Staten Island Yankees
- A 'Boot'iful Win - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spikes' Swift Start Sends Them to 8-6 Win over Crosscutters - State College Spikes
- 'Birds Complete Sweep in Burlington - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Cutters Comeback Falls Short at State College - Williamsport Crosscutters
- SI Lands a Walkoff Late, 7-5 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Pitchers Duel Ends in Tigers 2-0 Victory - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Late Rally Falls Short for Spinners in 6-5, 10-Inning Loss - Lowell Spinners
- Black Bears Bounce Back against Auburn - West Virginia Black Bears
- Aberdeen Sweeps Series With 7-2 Win At Vermont - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Tigers Pitching Powers Past Tri-City - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Doubledays Drop Game 2 against Black Bears - Auburn Doubledays
- IronBirds Post First Ever No Hitter - Aberdeen IronBirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.