Aberdeen Sweeps Series With 7-2 Win At Vermont
BURLINGTON, VT - Jean Carmona went 3-for-3 with two walks and two runs scored, while 2019 overall number one draft pick Adley Rutschman went 2-for-3 with two walks, a double and two RBI as the Aberdeen Irons completed a three-game sweep at historic Centennial Field with a
7-2 New York-Penn League victory over the Vermont Lake Monsters Tuesday night.
The Ironbirds, who shutout the Vermont 11-0 and 7-0 (tossing a no-hitter) in the first two games of the series, jumped out to a 2-0 lead in game three with a pair of unearned runs in the top of the first off Vermont starter Jack Cushing.
Cushing allowed the two unearned runs on three hits with four strikeouts before leaving the game in the fourth after getting the first two outs of the inning. Reliever Leudeny Pineda gave up single and two walks to load the bases before Rutschman delivered a two-run single to right.
Vermont, which had snapped an 0-for-38 skid on a Lawrence Butler two-out double in the second inning, got its first run of the series (and snapping a 26-inning Centennial Field scoring drought) in the fourth when Logan Davidson led off the inning with a double and scored on a one-out bases loaded sacrifice fly from Kevin Richards.
The Ironbirds added two more unearned runs in the sixth and Kyle Stowers added his second home run in as many nights with a solo shot in the seventh as Aberdeen outscored the Lake Monsters 25-2 over the three-game series.
Butler capped off a 2-for-3 and a walk night with a two-out solo homer in the bottom of the ninth off Ironbirds reliever Dan Hammer, who had four strikeouts over final four innings to earn his first save. Starter Houston Roth (3-0) allowed one run on two hits with two walks and three strikeouts over first five innings to pick up win for Aberdeen (32-26).
The homestand continues for Vermont (25-33) with the first of a three-game series against the Brooklyn Cyclones at 7:05 pm Wednesday with the first 1,000 fans receiving a free Lake Monsters fleece winter hat.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Staten Island Falls to Brooklyn in Opening Game of Series - Staten Island Yankees
- A 'Boot'iful Win - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spikes' Swift Start Sends Them to 8-6 Win over Crosscutters - State College Spikes
- 'Birds Complete Sweep in Burlington - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Cutters Comeback Falls Short at State College - Williamsport Crosscutters
- SI Lands a Walkoff Late, 7-5 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Pitchers Duel Ends in Tigers 2-0 Victory - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Late Rally Falls Short for Spinners in 6-5, 10-Inning Loss - Lowell Spinners
- Black Bears Bounce Back against Auburn - West Virginia Black Bears
- Aberdeen Sweeps Series With 7-2 Win At Vermont - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Tigers Pitching Powers Past Tri-City - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Doubledays Drop Game 2 against Black Bears - Auburn Doubledays
- IronBirds Post First Ever No Hitter - Aberdeen IronBirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.