Tigers Pitching Powers Past Tri-City
Norwich, CT - Kedier Montero (Win, 1-0) pitched six scoreless innings with seven strikeouts, and the Conntecticut Tigers (27-30) defeated the Tri-City ValleyCats (24-33) by a final score of 2-0. Montero now has 15 strikeouts with no runs allowed through his last 11 innings on the mound.
The Tigers got on the board in the bottom half of the second inning on an RBI sacrifice fly from Gresuan Silverio. The Tigers offense totaled three hits in the contest.
One of those hits was a RBI double by Eleiezer Alfonzo in the seventh inning to make it 2-0. Alfonzo now has 19 RBI on the season to lead the Tigers this year.
On the mound, Ted Stuka (Hold, 1) pitched 2.2 scoreless innings. Stuka had seven strikeouts with two hits and no walks. Stuka was pulled for the final out of the ninth inning, and Kory Behenna (Save, 4) got a one-out save for Connecticut.
The Tigers pitching staff surrendered one walks with 14 strikeouts in the game. This was the second most strikeouts in a game for the Tigers this season.
The Connecticut Tigers will be back in action tomorrow for game four of a six game home stand. The Tigers will take on the Hudson Valley Renegades. You can catch all the action on the Norwich Courtyard by Marriott Connecticut Tigers Radio Network on 1310 WICH. Elijah Gonzalez will have the call. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
The Connecticut Tigers are the New York-Penn League affiliate of the Detroit Tigers at Dodd Stadium in Norwich, Connecticut. 2019 individual game tickets, season memberships for "The Club", mini plans, and team merchandise are on sale now! The front office and box office are open daily from 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday and can be accessed in person, online at www.cttigers.com, or by calling (860) 887-7962.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Staten Island Falls to Brooklyn in Opening Game of Series - Staten Island Yankees
- A 'Boot'iful Win - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spikes' Swift Start Sends Them to 8-6 Win over Crosscutters - State College Spikes
- 'Birds Complete Sweep in Burlington - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Cutters Comeback Falls Short at State College - Williamsport Crosscutters
- SI Lands a Walkoff Late, 7-5 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Pitchers Duel Ends in Tigers 2-0 Victory - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Late Rally Falls Short for Spinners in 6-5, 10-Inning Loss - Lowell Spinners
- Black Bears Bounce Back against Auburn - West Virginia Black Bears
- Aberdeen Sweeps Series With 7-2 Win At Vermont - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Tigers Pitching Powers Past Tri-City - Connecticut Tigers
- Doubledays Drop Game 2 against Black Bears - Auburn Doubledays
- IronBirds Post First Ever No Hitter - Aberdeen IronBirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.