Cutters Comeback Falls Short at State College
State College, Penn. - The Williamsport Crosscutters kept scratching and clawing their way back into a late-night ballgame at State College but ultimately fell to the Spikes 8-6 on Tuesday night at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park.
The Cutters are opening a season-long seven-game road trip.
The night began with a brief 14-minute rain delay and then over three-and-a-half hours later concluded at 10:51 p.m. when Hunter Hearn struck out with the bases loaded.
The Spikes raced out to a 6-1 lead in the first two innings but the Cutters closed the deficit to 6-4 and 8-6 at different points before leaving the potential tying runner at second base and go-ahead runner at first base to end the game.
Kendall Simmons and Bryson Stott both went 2-for-5 and both banged out a double and a triple. Simmons added one RBI and two runs scored while Stott had two RBI and one run scored. Nate Fassnacht also knocked a three-bagger later in the game giving the Cutters a season-high three triples.
D.J. Stewart went 4-for-5 while batting out of the lead-off spot for the first time.
Jake Kinney and Brian Marconi came out of the bullpen to fire three combined innings of shutout relief to keep the Cutters within comeback distance. Chris Michaels surrendered five unearned runs in the first inning in taking the loss.
State College is 8-3 against Williamsport this year. The Spikes won this back-and-forth series 2-1 taking the last two games after Williamsport had triumphed in the Sunday opener 10-3 back at BB&T Ballpark.
The Crosscutters road-trip continues Wednesday night in New York against the Auburn Doubledays (WSH) at 7:05 p.m. LHP Junior Tejada is the probable starter for the Crosscutters.
WIL 6 11 2 (8)
SC 8 14 1 (13)
W - Jeremy Randolph (3-2)
L - Chris Michaeles (0-2)
S - Jack Ralston (4)
Crosscutters Record: 22-36
Next Game: Wednesday, August 13, 7:05 p.m. at Auburn
Next Home Game/Promotion: Thursday, August 22, 7:05 p.m. vs. Mahoning Valley / Pin Giveaway
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Staten Island Falls to Brooklyn in Opening Game of Series - Staten Island Yankees
- A 'Boot'iful Win - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spikes' Swift Start Sends Them to 8-6 Win over Crosscutters - State College Spikes
- 'Birds Complete Sweep in Burlington - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Cutters Comeback Falls Short at State College - Williamsport Crosscutters
- SI Lands a Walkoff Late, 7-5 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Pitchers Duel Ends in Tigers 2-0 Victory - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Late Rally Falls Short for Spinners in 6-5, 10-Inning Loss - Lowell Spinners
- Black Bears Bounce Back against Auburn - West Virginia Black Bears
- Aberdeen Sweeps Series With 7-2 Win At Vermont - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Tigers Pitching Powers Past Tri-City - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Doubledays Drop Game 2 against Black Bears - Auburn Doubledays
- IronBirds Post First Ever No Hitter - Aberdeen IronBirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.