Shorebirds plate six in win
Hagerstown, MD- Nathan Nery's seven dominant innings carried Delmarva to a 6-1 victory on Friday night at Municipal Stadium over Hagerstown. Nery allowed just two singles, both in the third inning, and retired 15 of the final 16 Suns he faced to earn his fifth victory of the season. While the Suns were able to scratch a run across in the eighth inning off Shane Mathews to break up the shutout, Mathews pitched a 1-2-3 ninth to preserve the win, Delmarva's 72nd of the season.
Anthony Martinez broke a 0-0 draw in the third inning with a two-out, bases-loaded single that scored a pair to give Delmarva the lead off Hagerstown starter Ricardo Pecina. While the Shorebirds had baserunners in each of the first five innings, they would not score again until the sixth. With runners at the corners and two away, Matt Angle singled to right-center to drive in Wally Crancer from third. Although Brendan Monaghan was thrown out at the plate attempting to score all the way from first, the Birds lead was 3-0 and Nery was in control.
Delmarva received more insurance as they doubled their lead with three runs in the seventh. Taking advantage of an errant pickoff throw by the pitcher and a fielding mistake by right-fielder Robbie Jacobsen, the Birds utilized three singles along with a hit-by-pitch and two errors to double the lead to 6-0. That was more than enough offense on a day that the Suns were held to just one run on four hits, this coming 24 hours after Hagerstown scored 13 times on 13 hits.
Making his Shorebird debut, third-baseman Jedidiah Stephen was 0-5 with four strikeouts, but multiple hit games from Angle, Martinez, Crancer, and Monaghan eased Stephen's struggles. Joe Nowicki also contributed an RBI single and three walks to the winning effort. Despite the victory, the Shorebirds remain five games behind first-place West Virginia with 11 games remaining for Delmarva. The five game series in Hagerstown continues Saturday night with game four at 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 22, 2008
- Captains Stun BlueClaws 6-5 - Lake County Captains
- Catfish Scale Back R-Dogs, 2-0, In Game One, Game Two Suspended in Third Inning - Charleston RiverDogs
- McBride's home run knocks off BlueClaws - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crawdads take advantage of late errors - Hickory Crawdads
- Rally Falls Short in Hoppers' Series Finale - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Suns fall to Birds - Hagerstown Suns
- Power earn victory to begin weekend - West Virginia Power
- Legends Fall on Double Play that Wasn't - Lexington Legends
- Drive Hold Off Grasshoppers with 6-4 Victory - Greenville Drive
- Beckham's Walk-Off Single Gives Intimidators 3-2 Win Over GreenJackets - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Shorebirds plate six in win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jackets Fall to Kannapolis in Series Finale - Augusta GreenJackets
- Astros, Legends Agree To PDC Extension - Lexington Legends
- Suns Slip By Shorebirds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Funeral Give Away on Saturday - Lake County Captains
- Hickman Hits Game-Winner to Complete Hoppers' Comeback - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Catfish Promotions for August 25 August 29 - Columbus Catfish
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.