Captains Stun BlueClaws 6-5
(Eastlake, OH) - Matt McBride hit a walk-off three-run pinch hit home run in the bottom of the ninth inning as the Lake County Captains stunned the Lakewood BlueClaws 6-5 on Friday. The BlueClaws wasted three home runs and another strong starting pitching performance. The BlueClaws fell to 1.5 games behind West Virginia who won their game tonight.
Captains starter Ryan Miller gave up solo home runs to Travis D'Arnaud and Mike Durant in the top of the second inning and the BlueClaws led 2-0. The Claws lead went to 3-0 when Tim Kennelly doubled home T.J. Warren in the third inning. It went to 4-0 in the top of the fifth inning.
The Captains got to Claws reliever Zach Sterner in the bottom of the sixth inning when Matt Brown doubled home two runs to cut the lead to 4-2. It went to 5-2 in the eighth when Travis Mattair walked and scored when Karl Bolt doubled off of Captains reliever Mike Pontius. The Captains cut the lead to 5-3 in the eighth inning on a RBI ground out by Jeff Hehr.
Miller took a no decision going 6.2 innings and allowing four runs on ten hits, walking two and striking out six. Pontius gave up a run in 1.2 innings of work. Jonathan Holt got the win by pitching a scoreless ninth inning. The BlueClaws Chance Chapman pitched five shutout innings striking out seven with nothing to show for the effort. Jared Simon took the loss and his record fell to 6-3.
The Captains and BlueClaws play game four of the five game series on Saturday with the Captains sending RHP Joey Mahalic (7-5, 3.80) to the mound to face the BlueClaws RHP Mike Stutes (4-1, 0.84). Game time is 7:05 PM. All Captains games can be heard on AM 1330 WELW, WELW.COM or CAPTAINSBASEBALL.COM.
Following the game on Saturday, the Captains will be awarding a free funeral to a lucky pre-registered fan courtesy of Monreal Funeral Home of Eastlake. All fans will be treated to a spectacular fireworks show after the game and the first 1,000 fans will receive a Willy Walleye mini bobblehead presented by National City.
Sunday at 1:05 PM is the final Plevin and Gallucci Family Fun Day where fans can meet Captains players prior to the game and get autographs and kids can run the bases after the game presented by Andrews Osborne Academy. Also, the first 1,500 fans will receive a Captains Fleece Blankets Presented by Lake Hospital System.
Tickets for all Captains home games including the 2008 SAL Playoffs are on sale at the Classic Park box office, by phone at 440-954-WINS (9467) or at captainsbaseball.com. Tickets for the Playoffs remain the same as regular season game tickets, $9 reserved seat, $7 bleachers, juniors, and seniors, $6 lawn. Lawn seats for the Playoffs will only be sold once the reserved seats and bleachers are sold out. The $7 group rate will still apply to groups of 20 or more.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 22, 2008
- Captains Stun BlueClaws 6-5 - Lake County Captains
- Catfish Scale Back R-Dogs, 2-0, In Game One, Game Two Suspended in Third Inning - Charleston RiverDogs
- McBride's home run knocks off BlueClaws - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Crawdads take advantage of late errors - Hickory Crawdads
- Rally Falls Short in Hoppers' Series Finale - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Suns fall to Birds - Hagerstown Suns
- Power earn victory to begin weekend - West Virginia Power
- Legends Fall on Double Play that Wasn't - Lexington Legends
- Drive Hold Off Grasshoppers with 6-4 Victory - Greenville Drive
- Beckham's Walk-Off Single Gives Intimidators 3-2 Win Over GreenJackets - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Shorebirds plate six in win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jackets Fall to Kannapolis in Series Finale - Augusta GreenJackets
- Astros, Legends Agree To PDC Extension - Lexington Legends
- Suns Slip By Shorebirds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Funeral Give Away on Saturday - Lake County Captains
- Hickman Hits Game-Winner to Complete Hoppers' Comeback - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Catfish Promotions for August 25 August 29 - Columbus Catfish
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake County Captains Stories
- Captains Promote Roth to Assistant GM, Name Maskey Director of Turf Management
- Official Statement from the Captains Regarding Sunday's Trunk Or Treat Event and COVID-19
- NCAA DIII College World Series Coming to Eastlake in 2024
- Movie Nights Powered by NOPEC Will Begin August 22
- Captains Postpone Movie Nights Powered by NOPEC