Hickman Hits Game-Winner to Complete Hoppers' Comeback
GREENSBORO - Tom Hickman had two doubles and a triple Thursday, but his biggest hit of the night came in the ninth inning as he hit a bases-loaded single to drive in the winning run for the Hoppers.
Greensboro loaded the bases and the Greenville Drive fought off the Hoppers by getting back-to-back force outs at home plate, but Hickman snuck one through a hole on the right side to plate Matt Dominguez and give the home team a 6-5 victory.
The Hoppers used their late rally to score all six of their runs in the final four innings of the contest and erase a four-run deficit. Greensboro first got on the board with a pair of runs in the sixth inning thanks to Mike Stanton's league-leading 34th home run; the Hoppers added two more in each the eighth and ninth innings to garner at least a split of the four-game set.
Starter Brett Durand tossed a solid five innings for manager Edwin Rodriguez, but was on the hook for the loss after allowing four runs in his sixth and final inning of work.
Kevin Gunter pitched the seventh and allowed Greenville's final run of the game before Adam Campbell no-hit the Drive four the final two innings to pick up his first win in a Hoppers' uniform.
Greensboro wraps up its four-game series against Greenville and its four-game homestand Friday with the series finale set to kick off at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 22, 2008
- Captains Stun BlueClaws 6-5 - Lake County Captains
- Catfish Scale Back R-Dogs, 2-0, In Game One, Game Two Suspended in Third Inning - Charleston RiverDogs
- McBride's home run knocks off BlueClaws - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crawdads take advantage of late errors - Hickory Crawdads
- Rally Falls Short in Hoppers' Series Finale - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Suns fall to Birds - Hagerstown Suns
- Power earn victory to begin weekend - West Virginia Power
- Legends Fall on Double Play that Wasn't - Lexington Legends
- Drive Hold Off Grasshoppers with 6-4 Victory - Greenville Drive
- Beckham's Walk-Off Single Gives Intimidators 3-2 Win Over GreenJackets - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Shorebirds plate six in win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jackets Fall to Kannapolis in Series Finale - Augusta GreenJackets
- Astros, Legends Agree To PDC Extension - Lexington Legends
- Suns Slip By Shorebirds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Funeral Give Away on Saturday - Lake County Captains
- Hickman Hits Game-Winner to Complete Hoppers' Comeback - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Catfish Promotions for August 25 August 29 - Columbus Catfish
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Grasshoppers Stories
- End of An Era: Miss Lou Lou Gehrig Dies at Age 9
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled
- MiLB Coronavirus and Postponement of the 2020 Season
- Grasshoppers Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Greensboro Grasshoppers Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball