Jackets Fall to Kannapolis in Series Finale
Kannapolis, NC - The Augusta GreenJackets (41-28, 40-20) could not hold off the Kannapolis Intimidators (31-39, 31-27) in a 3-2 loss on Friday night to split the four game series. Kannapolis rallied for two runs in the ninth inning for the walk-off win as Augusta had its string of series wins snapped at four.
The GreenJackets took a 2-1 lead into the bottom of the ninth inning but an RBI double from pinch hitter Matt Inouye off reliever David Mixon tied the game at 2-2. On the play Inouye was able to take third base on a fielding error from Shane Jordan in centerfield. Brent Morel led off the inning with a double off of reliever Ryan Paul to get into scoring position. Paul struck out the next batter but then was lifted for Mixon.
Mixon was able to get the second out of the inning on a strikeout then walked leadoff batter Jordan Danks to put runners on the corners. Gordon Beckham came up next and connected for the walk-off RBI single scoring Inouye.
Mixon (1-2) suffered the loss and his third blown save of the season allowing one run on two hits in a third of an inning worked.
Paul worked 2.1 innings and allowed one run on one hit. It was his first run allowed in 10 outings out of the bullpen.
Kannapolis took a 1-0 lead in the second inning on a one-out solo homer from Brent Morel off of starter Chance Corgan.
Corgan got the no-decision working six innings and allowing one run on five hits.
Augusta tied the game in the fifth inning when James Simmons led off the inning with a solo homer to centerfield, his fifth home run of the season.
The GreenJackets took a 2-1 lead in the sixth inning on a two-out RBI double from Garrett Baker scoring Thomas Neal.
The GreenJackets begin a three game series in Greenville, SC on Saturday with left-hander Scott Barnes (2-1, 1.31) making the start in the first game. The Drive counters with right-hander Terumasa Matsuo (5-5, 4.48). First pitch is at 7:00 p.m.
The GreenJackets fell to 36-26 on the road this season, 15-13 in the second half
The GreenJackets have a 4.5 game lead in the Southern Division.
Augusta was out hit 8-5 in the game.
Augusta suffered its fourth walk-off loss of the season.
The GreenJackets split a series for the ninth time this season.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 22, 2008
- Captains Stun BlueClaws 6-5 - Lake County Captains
- Catfish Scale Back R-Dogs, 2-0, In Game One, Game Two Suspended in Third Inning - Charleston RiverDogs
- McBride's home run knocks off BlueClaws - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Crawdads take advantage of late errors - Hickory Crawdads
- Rally Falls Short in Hoppers' Series Finale - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Suns fall to Birds - Hagerstown Suns
- Power earn victory to begin weekend - West Virginia Power
- Legends Fall on Double Play that Wasn't - Lexington Legends
- Drive Hold Off Grasshoppers with 6-4 Victory - Greenville Drive
- Beckham's Walk-Off Single Gives Intimidators 3-2 Win Over GreenJackets - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Shorebirds plate six in win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jackets Fall to Kannapolis in Series Finale - Augusta GreenJackets
- Astros, Legends Agree To PDC Extension - Lexington Legends
- Suns Slip By Shorebirds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Funeral Give Away on Saturday - Lake County Captains
- Hickman Hits Game-Winner to Complete Hoppers' Comeback - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Catfish Promotions for August 25 August 29 - Columbus Catfish
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.