Shorebirds Fall to Power, Still Clinch North
CHARLESTON, WV - Despite losing 1-0 to the West Virginia Power on Tuesday night at Appalachian Power Park, the Delmarva Shorebirds still clinched the South Atlantic League Northern Division first half championship thanks to second-place Greensboro's 2-1 loss against Hickory.
The Shorebirds (46-18) are now headed to postseason play for the seventh time in franchise history and first time in 14 years. The last time Delmarva made the SAL playoffs was 2005 when the Shorebirds won the second half division title. It's just the second time the Shorebirds have ever won a first half title, following the inaugural 1996 Delmarva team, which went 47-23 before the All-Star Break.
In the game itself, Damon Casetta-Stubbs (3-5) turned in his best start for the Power (32-33), scattering three hits across six scoreless innings with one walk and seven strikeouts. Drew Rom (4-1) took the tough-luck loss, giving up an unearned run on one hit over five innings with three walks and eight punchouts. Bryan Pall closed it out for West Virginia with a scoreless ninth.
The Power's only breakthrough came in the bottom of the third. Charlie McConnell reached on a two-base error at second with one out, then back-to-back walks to J.R. Davis and Utah Jones loaded the bases. Julio Rodriguez hit a soft grounder to second, but Alexis Torres' throw for the force at second sailed wide of the bag, and McConnell scored to put West Virginia up 1-0. Rom then coaxed a 4-6-3 double play from Bobby Honeyman to get out of the inning with minimal damage.
Delmarva could only muster four singles on the night, including two infield hits. The Shorebirds had two men on in the third and seventh innings but couldn't push anything across.
In the top of the ninth Robbie Thorburn led off with an infield single and took second on a grounder, but with two out Nick Horvath struck out swinging to end the game.
Greensboro made their final out against Hickory about 20 minutes later, setting off a euphoric celebration in the visiting clubhouse.
Cadyn Grenier accounted for half of the Shorebirds' four hits, going 2-for-4. Thorburn and Alexis Torres each had infield knocks.
Davis, Joseph Rosa, and Manny Pazos tallied the three Power hits on the night.
By winning the first half, the Shorebirds clinch homefield advantage in the upcoming Northern Division Championship Series. Delmarva will host the second and if necessary third games against the second half champion or wild card winner on Friday, September 6, and Saturday, September 7.
The clincher comes in the midst of Delmarva's coldest spell of the season. The Shorebirds have lost three in a row for the first time this season and have dropped just their second series on the year.
The Shorebirds try and salvage the finale at the Power on Wednesday night. Nick Vespi (3-3, 4.60) will start for Delmarva against West Virginia's Steven Moyers (5-4, 4.77). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m., and pregame coverage on Fox Sports 960 AM and the MiLB First Pitch App begins at 6:50 with Will DeBoer on the call.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Shorebirds Fall to Power, Still Clinch North - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Complete Doubleheader Sweep with Walk-Off Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Lexington Drops Game Two to Augusta - Lexington Legends
- Jackets Rattle off 4th Straight Victory, Defeat Lexington 6-3 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kannapolis Holds off Greenville, 5-4, on Tuesday - Greenville Drive
- Casetta-Stubbs Flings Six Scoreless in 1-0 Win - West Virginia Power
- BlueClaws Fall in Double-Header Tuesday at Hagerstown - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Bies Slams Door as RiverDogs Edge Braves, Cling to First-Place Spot - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Even Series by Trouncing Tourists - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 11 vs. Asheville (Game 61) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (June 11) - West Virginia Power
- Lockridge, Smith to Participate in All-Star Home Run Derby - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Hagerstown Suns Homestand Preview June 11-16 - Hagerstown Suns
- McKay Tabbed as Keynote Speaker for 2019 SAL All-Star Luncheon - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.