Kannapolis Holds off Greenville, 5-4, on Tuesday
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Kannapolis Intimidators held a 5-2 lead over the Greenville Drive after seven innings before holding on for the 5-4 victory on Tuesday night at Fluor Field.
Kannapolis opened the scoring with two runs in the second. Back-to-back RBI singles by Ramon Beltre and Ian Dawkins gave the road team a 2-0 lead.
Greenville tied it with two runs in the fourth. With the bases loaded and two outs, Cole Brannen singled to center to score two, tying the game at 2-2.
The Intimidators retook the lead with two runs in the fifth. Corey Zangari drew a two-out walk and Luis Curbelo followed with a two-run homer to right, his fifth of the season, to make it a 4-2 game.
Kannapolis added one more in the seventh. Alex Destino doubled to left center and two batters later Zangari doubled to score him and push the advantage to 5-2.
The Drive scored two in the eighth to cut the lead to just one. Jordan Wren led off the inning with a single and Kole Cottam followed with a two-run home run to left center cut trim the lead to 5-4.
Johan Dominguez (3-3) earned the win for Kannapolis, allowing two runs on three hits in 5.0 innings pitched with six strikeouts against six walks. Drive reliever Yoan Aybar (1-3) suffered the loss, allowing two runs on one hit and a walk with one strikeout. J.B. Olson recorded his first save of the season with a 1-2-3 ninth inning.
Cottam led the Drive offense on the night, going 2-for-3 with a double, homer, two runs and two RBI. Brandon Howlett added a 2-for-3 night with a run, while Brannen contributed a single and two RBI.
Drive starter Thaddeus Ward allowed two runs on five hits in 4.0 innings pitched with seven strikeouts against four walks.
The series wraps up on Wednesday with first pitch at 7:05 p.m. Right-hander Chase Shugart takes the bump for the Drive, facing off against right-hander Davis Martin for Kannapolis.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Shorebirds Fall to Power, Still Clinch North - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Complete Doubleheader Sweep with Walk-Off Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Lexington Drops Game Two to Augusta - Lexington Legends
- Jackets Rattle off 4th Straight Victory, Defeat Lexington 6-3 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kannapolis Holds off Greenville, 5-4, on Tuesday - Greenville Drive
- Casetta-Stubbs Flings Six Scoreless in 1-0 Win - West Virginia Power
- BlueClaws Fall in Double-Header Tuesday at Hagerstown - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Bies Slams Door as RiverDogs Edge Braves, Cling to First-Place Spot - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Even Series by Trouncing Tourists - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 11 vs. Asheville (Game 61) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (June 11) - West Virginia Power
- Lockridge, Smith to Participate in All-Star Home Run Derby - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Hagerstown Suns Homestand Preview June 11-16 - Hagerstown Suns
- McKay Tabbed as Keynote Speaker for 2019 SAL All-Star Luncheon - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Drive Stories
- The Greenville Drive and MiLB Launch Campaign to Feed Area Families and Honor Pandemic Heroes
- Don't Miss out on the Best Games During the Drive's 15th Anniversary Season
- Tickets on Sale Now for the 2020 College and High School Schedule at Fluor Field
- Greenville Drive Look to Better Engage Fans with StellarAlgo Partnership
- Drive Hot Stove Event Kicks-Off 15th Anniversary Season on February 3rd