Seven Kelowna Rockets to attend NHL Rookie Camps
Seven Kelowna Rockets will be attending National Hockey League rookie camps/tournaments later this week. Nolan Foote, Kaedan Korczak, Dillon Hamaliuk, Kyle Topping, Leif Mattson, Sean Comrie and Jake Lee have all departed Kelowna to join NHL clubs as they gear up for their rookie camps/tournaments this weekend.
Foote, who was selected by the Tampa Bay Lightning with the No. 27 pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, left Kelowna earlier this week. The 18-year-old had a busy summer, he signed with the Lightning on June 21 and then lit up the World Junior Summer Showcase with Canada in late July/early August. He lead all Canadian players in points with six (2G, 4A) in three games.
Foote suited up for 66 games for the Rockets last season, posting 36 goals and 63 points. He lead the Rockets in goals and power-play goals (17) and was tied for second for points.
Tampa Bay will play in the 2019 NHL Prospect Showcase being held September 7-10 at Ford Ice Center in Antioch, Tennessee.
The Lightning's roster also includes Nolan's older brother and former Rockets captain, Cal. The elder Foote Tampa's first-round pick in 2017.
All Tampa games will be streamed live on www.TampaBayLightning.com.
Saturday, Sept 7 TB vs. Nashville Predators
Sunday, Sept 8 TB vs. Carolina Hurricanes
Tuesday, Sept 10 TB vs. Washington Capitals
The Vegas Golden Knights drafted Korczak No. 41 overall during the second round of 2019 NHL Entry Draft.
Korczak played in all 68 for the Rockets games last season. He set career highs in assists and points; he had four goals and 29 assists, giving him 33 points.
The Golden Knights will practice at City National Arena in Las Vegas on Friday, September 6 before travelling to the 2019 Anaheim Rookie Faceoff September 7-10.
Saturday, Sept 7 VGK vs. Colorado Avalanche
Sunday, Sept 8 VGK vs. Arizona Coyotes
Tuesday, Sept 10 VGK vs. Anaheim Ducks
Hamaliuk heard his name called 14 picks after Korczak's when the San Jose Sharks selected him 55th overall. He will be joined by Lee, who was invited by the Sharks as a free agent.
Hamaliuk and Lee were acquired from the Seattle Thunderbirds during the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft. Last season, Lee posted a career-best 24 points (3G, 21A) in 67 games. Hamaliuk had 26 points (11G, 15A) in 31 games before it came to an end due to injury.
The Sharks will also compete in the Anaheim Rookie Faceoff, but will not play the Golden Knights.
Saturday, Sept 7 SJ vs. Arizona Coyotes
Sunday, Sept 8 SJ vs. Anaheim Ducks
Tuesday, Sept 10 SJ vs. Los Angeles Kings
Topping and Mattson were both added to the Carolina Hurricane's roster as free agents for 2019 NHL Prospects Showcase, the same tournament that Tampa Bay and the Foote brothers will play in.
Topping lead the Rockets in assists and points last season, he had 23 goals and 46 assists for 69 points in 68 games.
Mattson set career highs in assists and points last season while tying for second in team scoring. He had 22 goals and 41 assists in 63 games played.
Saturday, Sept 7 CAR vs. Washington Capitals
Sunday, Sept 8 CAR vs. Tampa Bay Lightning
Tuesday, Sept 10 CAR vs. Nashville Predators
The Philadelphia Flyers invited Comrie as a free agent. Kelowna traded for his playing rights from the Brandon Wheat Kings at the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft. He played for the University of Denver last season where he had an assist in 18 games with the Pioneers.
The Philadelphia Flyers will open their 2019 Rookie Camp this Saturday, September 7. The five-day camp will consist of three on-ice practice days, an off-ice day and a culminating scrimmage against the New York Islanders on September 11.
Images from this story
Kelowna Rockets left wing Nolan Foote
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 4, 2019
- Eight Current Oil Kings to Take Part in NHL Rookie Camps - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Details of 2019 Merlin Ford Lincoln Home Opener Announced - Saskatoon Blades
- 2019-20 Promotional Schedule Unveiled - Spokane Chiefs
- Noah King Invited to New Jersey Devils' Prospect Challenge Roster - Spokane Chiefs
- Sexsmith Eager to Fit in with Rebuilding Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Seven Kelowna Rockets to attend NHL Rookie Camps - Kelowna Rockets
- Westoba Jr Reporter Contest Opens Thursday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Hitmen Announce 2019 WHL Pre-Season Roster - Calgary Hitmen
- Cougars Sign Joe Kennedy to a WHL Standard Player Agreement - Prince George Cougars
- Trio of Wheat Kings off to NHL Camps - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Tigers Sign Teague Patton - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Six Blades off to NHL Camps - Saskatoon Blades
- Winterhawks Reassign Two Top Prospects - Portland Winterhawks
- Rebels Fall to Oil Kings in Preseason Opener - Red Deer Rebels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.