Scheiner, Ortiz Hit Back-To-Back HRs, But Claws Fall 4-3
GREENSBORO, NC - A seventh inning SAC fly by Thomas Jones broke a 3-3 tie and gave Greensboro a 4-3 win over the BlueClaws on Wednesday night at First National Bank Field in the first game of their three-game series.
Lakewood (8-5/49-33) has now dropped two straight while Greensboro (7-6/41-41) snapped a three-game skid with the win. The teams have split their first 14 meetings so far this season.
Ismael Cabrera (0-1) gave up a lead-off triple to Garvis Lara in the seventh, and Jones followed with a SAC fly to put Greensboro ahead 4-3.
Greensboro opened the scoring in the bottom of the fifth inning, scoring three times to take the lead. Micah Brown's sixth home run of the year started the inning and put the Hoppers up 1-0. After a double by Harrison DiNicola nad a walk to Michael Hernandez, a Garvis Lara bunt moved them up to second and third.
A Kyle Young wild pitch scored DiNicola and Jose Devers added a two-out RBI single for a 3-0 lead. Young came out after 4.2 innings, allowing three runs on five hits and did not factor in the decision.
The BlueClaws wasted no time in tying up the game. In the top of the sixth, Jake Scheiner's home run made it 3-2 and Jhailyn Ortiz hit a solo shot to tie the game. It was the second time the BlueClaws have gone back-to-back this year (Daniel Brito and Rodolfo Duran in Greensboro on June 9th). Those runs would be the only runs the BlueClaws got on the night.
Greensboro starter Daniel Castano (1-0) earned the win, allowing three runs in seven innings. Michael Mertz threw a 1-2-3 eighth inning and Vicenzo Aiello threw a 1-2-3 ninth inning for his sixth save of the year.
The BlueClaws and Grasshopppers continue their series on Thursday night at 7:05 pm. RHP Spencer Howard (4-7) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Edward Cabrera (3-6).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 4, 2018
- Early Fireworks Send Tourists Past Braves - Asheville Tourists
- Power Blanked by Legends 6-0 in Front of 5,252 Fans - West Virginia Power
- Lexington Legends Shutout West Virginia Power in Game One - Lexington Legends
- RiverDogs Rip Two Homers, Fall in Independence Day Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Lara's Late Triple Sets up Winning Run - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- 'Birds Spark Fireworks in Shutout - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Drive Open Series with 4-2 Victory over Fireflies - Greenville Drive
- Scheiner, Ortiz Hit Back-To-Back HRs, But Claws Fall 4-3 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Second-Largest Crowd in Park History Celebrates Independence Day with the Fireflies - Columbia Fireflies
- GreenJackets Are the Top Dogs in Charleston - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Shutout in Series Opening Loss to Shorebirds - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 4, 2018 vs. Greenville (Game 80) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 4) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.