Santa Cruz Wins 9th Straight in Double-Overtime Thriller
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK. - The Santa Cruz Warriors defeated the Oklahoma City Blue in double-overtime on Tuesday to improve to 28-13 on the season, notching a ninth straight win. Today's victory matches the Warriors longest winning streak, which was achieved in the 2012-2013 inaugural season.
Santa Cruz was led by James Michael McAdoo and Mychel Thompson who had 26 points apiece. Aaron Craft recorded his second career triple-double with 16 points, 11 rebounds, and 10 assists. Darington Hobson was one assist shy of a triple-double, finishing with 20 points, 12 rebounds, and 9 assists.
The Blue was paced by Frank Gaines who scored 24 points. Talib Zanna, Maurice Sutton, and Marquis Teague all notched double-doubles for Oklahoma City.
The first quarter would see two lead changes and two ties, with Santa Cruz's biggest lead at 7 points. The Warriors held the three-point edge over the Blue entering the second frame behind James Michael McAdoo's 15 first quarter points.
The Blue went on a 9-2 run midway through the second period to tie up the score with just under three minutes left to play in the half. Though Oklahoma City would come back to tie up the score at four different times during the quarter, the Warriors would enter the break leading by 7 points.
The second half of the game would be tightly-contested, complete with four lead changes and three ties. The game went into overtime after Dwight Buycks made only one of three free throws after being fouled on a three-point attempt by Mychel Thompson.
After each team mustered a bucket apiece in the three-minute overtime to knot the score at 111-111, the game was sent into a double-overtime to decide the outcome. With Santa Cruz holding the lead, Josh Huestis tied the score back up, giving the Warriors two seconds to win the game. Ognjen Kuzmic would get the ball and score, giving the Blue 0.5 seconds to respond. Oklahoma City could not answer and the Warriors would ink the win at the close of the second overtime.
The Santa Cruz Warriors will face the Oklahoma City Blue again on Thursday at 5:00 p.m. PST. Fans can listen to the broadcast on the Santa Cruz Warriors flagship station, KION 1460AM/101.1FM, or catch the game on the NBA D-League's YouTube channel, via http://www.santacruzbasketball.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 10, 2015
- Skyforce Cruise to Victory over Red Claws - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Energy Win Fifth Game in a Row - Iowa Wolves
- Legends Acquire Justin Dentmon - Texas Legends
- Blue Falls in Double Overtime Thriller - Oklahoma City Blue
- Santa Cruz Wins 9th Straight in Double-Overtime Thriller - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Jazz Assign Grant Jerrett to Idaho Stampede - Idaho Stampede
- Jazz Assign Grant Jerrett to NBA D-League's Idaho Stampede - G League
- Lakers Sign Jabari Brown from NBA D-League's Los Angeles D-Fenders - G League
- Lakers Sign Jabari Brown - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Red Claws Announce Expo Seating Upgrade - Maine Red Claws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Santa Cruz Warriors Collect Franchise Record 20 Steals, Beat RGV 122-112
- Santa Cruz Warriors Win Home Opener 88-86 in Rematch with Stockton Kings
- Santa Cruz Warriors Drop Season Opener 122-97 against the Stockton Kings
- Santa Cruz Warriors Announce 2019-20 Opening Night Roster
- Santa Cruz Warriors Announce Training Camp Roster & Schedule