Santa Cruz Closes out Regular Season with Overtime Win against Austin, 118-112
CEDAR PARK, TX - In the Santa Cruz Warriors (15-17) regular season finale, the team beat the Austin Spurs (13-18), 118-112, in overtime. The win makes it five straight victories for Santa Cruz and still in playoff contention.
Santa Cruz led the first eight minutes of the game until the Spurs tied the game 23-23 and then the teams went back and forth to move into the second tied 31-31. Behind Quinndary Weatherspoon's 20 first half points, the Warriors led by as many as 15 in the second quarter and went into halftime up 64-54.
The Spurs opened the second half on a 7-0 run to get within 3 points of the Warriors, but the Warriors kept the lead the entire third to enter the fourth ahead 89-82. Austin tied the game 97-97 with 5:40 remaining and then took the lead 100-99 for their first lead since the first half. The lead continued to switch the final few minutes and both teams had good chances to win but neither team could gain a large enough advantage and the game was sent to overtime. The Warriors earned all their overtime points at the charity stripe and won the game 118-112.
The Warriors bench tallied 63 of the Warriors 118 total points with Weatherspoon leading the way with 36 points and forward Jacob Evans adding 21 points. Guard Kendall Smith tallied his second triple-double of the season (24 points, 11 rebounds, 13 assists) and center Selom Mawugbe had his second straight double-double (11 points, 17 rebounds).
The Spurs were led by DJ Stewart and Robert Woodard II who both had 20 points. On assignment from San Antonio, center Devontae Cacok added 13 points and nine rebounds.
For more information on the Santa Cruz Warriors, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 1, 2022
- Iowa Wolves Close Season with 124-114 Win over Oklahoma City Blue - Iowa Wolves
- Santa Cruz Closes out Regular Season with Overtime Win against Austin, 118-112 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Gold Fall to College Park 118-115 - Grand Rapids Gold
- Blue Coats Close Regular Season with Two against Herd - Delaware Blue Coats
- Knicks Squash Mad Ants 131-110 for Third Straight Win - Westchester Knicks
- South Bay Catches Fire, Drops 139 Points in Victory over Sioux Falls - South Bay Lakers
- Potter's Career High Not Enough, Force Loses 139-126 to Lakers - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Nets Knock Down Raptors 905 - Long Island Nets
- Squadron Win Last Regular Season Home Game over Stockton - Birmingham Squadron
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Santa Cruz Warriors Announce 10th Anniversary in Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz Warriors Announce Six Home Games for the 2022-23 Season
- Santa Cruz Warriors Recognized as 2021-22 NBA G League Franchise of the Year
- Warriors, Kaiser Permanente and the Athletes' Corner Donate 53,310 Meals to Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Cruz County Through Swishes for Dishes Initiative
- Santa Cruz Warriors Season Ends with Loss to South Bay Lakers, 134-123