Sanchez Pitches Strong in Relief as Slammers Drop Another to Rascals, 5-3
JOLIET, IL - A big 4th inning from the River City Rascals' hitters proved too much for the Joliet Slammers to overcome on Sunday, as they dropped their second in a row.
Following a scoreless top half where Slammers starter Daren Osby sat down the side in order, the Slammers kicked off the scoring in the bottom of the first. After moving Riley Krane to second on a ground out from Dash Winningham, Brian Parreira continued the success he had in the series by driving in Krane on a double to right-center. The Rascals held the Slammers from there, and the Slammers took a 1-0 lead into the 2nd.
Osby worked through the Rascals' lineup for the next two innings, surrendering just two hits during the stretch. The Slammers hitters responded with their second run of the game in the bottom of the 3rd, as Krane drove in London Lindley after he advanced to third on a stolen base and an error. Following a 40-minute rain delay, the Rascals closed out the inning, with the Slammers hanging on to a 2-0 lead.
The Rascals stormed out of the rain delay with a burst of offense in the top of the 4th, driving in a total of five runs, led by two home-runs from Kameron Esthay and Tanner Murphy. The Slammers failed to respond in their half, and the inning ended with the Rascals taking a 5-2 lead into the 5th.
Relieving Osby in the 5th, Isaac Sanchez would go on to pitch three scoreless innings for the Slammers. The Slammers' hitting took advantage in the bottom of the 7th, adding another run on an RBI single from Tyler Coolbaugh that brought home Peyton Isaacson from second. The Rascals closed out the 7th shortly after, holding on to a 5-3 lead.
Neither side would add to their run totals from there however, and the game ended with the Rascals sealing the series-deciding win..
Today's Merchants and Manufacturers Bank Player of the Game is Isaac Sanchez (3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, and 0 R).
The Slammers start a 3-game home series with the Florence Freedom next on Tuesday, June 25.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Grizzlies Lose Late Lead in 5-3 Defeat - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Fight Back to Win Fifth Straight - Florence Y'alls
- Welch Stellar Once Again as Otters Win Weekend Series - Evansville Otters
- ThunderBolts Drop Sixth in a Row - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Boomers Rally to Sweep - Schaumburg Boomers
- Washington Clinches Second Road Sweep with Sunday Win - Washington Wild Things
- Rascals Take Finale over Slammers - River City Rascals
- Miners Lose Late Lead as Boomers Sweep Series - Southern Illinois Miners
- Sanchez Pitches Strong in Relief as Slammers Drop Another to Rascals, 5-3 - Joliet Slammers
- Crusher offense shut down in 3-2 loss to Otters - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Lose Instant Classic in Schaumburg - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.