San Jose Earthquakes Acquire 2003 MLS SuperDraft Pick From New England Revolution
San Jose (Tuesday, July 30, 2002) - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the team has acquired a 2003 MLS SuperDraft pick from the New England Revolution in exchange for an undisclosed amount of salary budget "room".
New for 2002, the League has implemented a process whereby teams have the ability to acquire salary budget "room" in certain situations. In the event a team has the right to sign a replacement player to replace a player with a season-ending injury and does not have the available budget room to add the player, it may trade for pure budget room with other teams in the league to enable it to sign the replacement.
Trading for pure budget room may only be used to sign a player who is replacing a player with a season-ending injury. This rule is available to all teams.
The San Jose Earthquakes return to action at Spartan Stadium next Wednesday, August 7 at 7:00 p.m. PST in the quarterfinals of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup against the Los Angeles Galaxy.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 30, 2002
- MSG Network, MetroStars Team For "Cheering For Children" Charity Auction Tomorrow - New York Red Bulls
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire 2003 MLS SuperDraft Pick From New England Revolution - San Jose Earthquakes
- Inaugural United For D.C. Celebrity Golf Tournament Tees Off - D.C. United
- Colorado Meets A-League Affiliate in Exhibition Wednesday - Colorado Rapids
- ABC Enhances All-Star Broadcast - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 20, 2019
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named MLS Player of the Week
- Chris Wondolowski scores four goals to break all-time MLS record
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Breaks All-Time MLS Goals Record
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 13, 2019