San Diego Gulls and iHeartMedia San Diego to Return SoCal Hockey Talk Radio Show
SAN DIEGO - The San Diego Gulls announced today that the American Hockey League (AHL) club and its flagship radio partner iHeartMedia San Diego will return SoCal Hockey Talk, a 60-minute hockey radio show airing select Mondays from 6-7 p.m. PT for the 2021-22 season.
SoCal Hockey Talk's season premiere episode will begin Monday, Nov. 22 at 6 p.m. PT on XTRA 1360 and feature Hockey Hall of Famer Willie O'Ree and AHL official Samantha Hiller as the opening show's guests. O'Ree was inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame in November 2018, after he made hockey history on Jan. 18, 1958 when he became the first Black player to play a NHL game with the Boston Bruins. O'Ree also played seven seasons with the San Diego Gulls of the Western Hockey League from 1967-1974.
Samantha Hiller made history as one of ten female officials added to the AHL's roster of on-ice officials for the 2021-22 season, marking the first time the league included female referees and linespeople. The Boulder, Colorado native began officiating at the age of 12 and boasts over 15 years of on-ice officiating experience. Hiller made her AHL referee debut on Oct. 23 in a game between the Chicago Wolves and Milwaukee Admirals. The Chicago resident also works as a firefighter and paramedic when not on the ice.
Hosted by Gulls play-by-play announcer Andy Zilch, SoCal Hockey Talk is dedicated to the sport of hockey, with a strategic focus on the hockey landscape in Southern California. The show will also highlight the impact of the various hockey organizations and their players have had on the region, with an added focus on both the Gulls and Anaheim Ducks organizations.
The 60-minute show will feature insightful commentary about the NHL and AHL, San Diego Gulls, Anaheim Ducks, interviews with current and former players and coaches with ties to Southern California, hockey executives and hockey insiders.
Fans can listen live at XTRA 1360-AM or through the iHeartRadio App. For more information, visit SanDiegoGulls.com/SoCalHockeyTalk.
SoCal Hockey Talk debuts today at 6 p.m. PT on XTRA 1360-AM.
Below is a list of SoCal Hockey Talk air dates and times:
Monday, Nov. 22 6 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 6 6 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 20 6 p.m.
Monday, Jan. 24 6 p.m.
Monday, Feb. 7 6 p.m.
Monday, Feb. 21 6 p.m.
Monday, Mar. 7 6 p.m.
Monday, Mar. 21 6 p.m.
Monday, Apr. 4 6 p.m.
Monday, Apr. 18 6 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 22, 2021
- Wolves Insider: What We've Learned So Far - Chicago Wolves
- The Road Ahead: November 22 - Henderson Silver Knights
- San Diego Gulls and iHeartMedia San Diego to Return SoCal Hockey Talk Radio Show - San Diego Gulls
- Penguins Preview: November 23, 2021 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Barracuda Recall Steenn Pasichnuk from Orlando - San Jose Barracuda
- Cleveland's Brendan Gaunce Named AHL Player of the Week - Cleveland Monsters
- Cleveland's Brendan Gaunce Named AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- 5 Things: Heat at Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Heat Look to Extend Point Streak to 13 Monday at Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold Movember Game Presented by Upstate Urology November 26 - Syracuse Crunch
- Blackhawks Recall Defenseman Wyatt Kalynuk from IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs Weekly: IceHogs Celebrate Hockey Fights Cancer Night Supporting the SwedishAmerican Foundation this Friday at the BMO - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Gulls Stories
- Jeff Goduti Named San Diego Gulls 2021-22 IOA/American Specialty AHL Person of the Year
- Anaheim Ducks Relieve Gulls Coaches of Duties
- Gulls Push into Overtime but Eliminated in Game Two
- Anaheim Ducks Sign Calle Clang to Three-Year Entry-Level Contract
- Gulls Drop 7-4 Decision in Game 1