San Antonio FC Falls 2-3 to Republic FC Despite Strong Second Half
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC (7-9-6) fell to Sacramento Republic FC (9-9-3) 2-3 at Toyota Field on Saturday night. Goals from midfielders Jack Barmby and Pecka were not enough to salvage points at home for the Alamo City club after conceding three goals in the first half.
"Tonight was a reflection of two halves of soccer," SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell said. "They capitalized on their set pieces in the first half that put us on the back foot, but our guys came out in the second half with the urgency, and I think if we had scored a little bit earlier, something could have happened."
Sacramento opened the scoring in the 21st minute after forward Stefano Bonomo found the end of a corner kick from Sam Werner and beat goalkeeper Matthew Cardone with a header for the 1-0 lead. The visitors doubled their lead in the 33rd minute when forward Cameron Iwassa headed in a lob from midfielder Drew Skundrich. Sacramento then ended the half with their third goal after Bonomo finished off a team buildup to score his second on the night.
SAFC narrowed the gap in the 51st minute after Barmby finished low off a direct kick to score his fifth goal of the season, which is tied for the second-most on the squad behind forward Frank Lopez.
The Alamo City club struck again late into stoppage time after defender Joshua Yaro found Pecka at the top of the box following a corner, from which the Brazilian fired back-post with a powerful strike to beat goalkeeper Rafael Diaz. The goal marked Pecka's first of the season and second for SAFC since joining the club prior to the 2017 campaign.
San Antonio FC will return to USL Championship action on Saturday, Aug. 10 as the club visits Reno 1868 FC in their second matchup of 2019. SAFC previously earned a 3-2 win over Reno at Toyota Field on June 8.
Republic FC: 0-1, Stefano Bonomo (Sam Werner assist) 21'
Republic FC: 0-2, Cameron Iwasa (Drew Skundrich assist) 33;
Republic FC: 0-3, Stefano Bonomo (Juan Barahona assist) 45'
SAFC: 1-3, Jack Barmby 51'
SAFC: 2-3, Pecka (Joshua Yaro assist) 90'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Frank Lopez) 14'
Republic FC: Yellow Card (Keven Aleman) 45'
Republic FC: Yellow Card (Jordan McCrary) 75'
Republic FC: Yellow Card (Sam Werner) 86'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Pecka) 87'
Republic FC: Yellow Card (Rafael Diaz) 87'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Matthew Cardone; D: Kai Greene, Eby Ackon, Joshua Yaro; M: Pecka (c), Michael Lahoud, Cristian Parano, Jack Barmby (Jose Gallegos 69'); F: Billy Forbes (Walter Restrepo 82'), Frank Lopez (Ever Guzman 53'), Brian Gomez
Substitutions Not Used: Jonathan Viscosi, Johnny Fenwick, Pascal Eboussi, Bradford Jamieson IV
San Antonio's unbeaten streak of five matches came to an end with the 2-3 loss to Sacramento...marks the first time in nine home league matches that SAFC has lost...marks the first Republic victory at Toyota Field and also the first match that San Antonio has scored more than one goal in against Sacramento
With the loss, San Antonio FC has finally lost their 10th league match at Toyota Field in team history...since the club's inception prior to the 2016 season, SAFC has gone 31-10-19 in 60 home league matches
San Antonio FC conceded three goals in the first half, which marked just the second time in team history that SAFC has conceded three goals in a half at home and first time since 2016...SAFC conceded three first-half goals against the LA Galaxy II on 7/23/16 in a game that ultimately also finished in a 2-3 loss for San Antonio
SAFC midfielder Jack Barmby scored his fifth goal for the club, which is tied for the second-most on the club (also, Ever Guzman, Bradford Jamieson IV)...Barmby is now just one goal shy of his 2018 total after he recorded six with the Portland Timbers 2
SAFC midfielder Pecka scored his first goal of the season tonight and his second all-time for San Antonio...the Brazilian's first goal for SAFC came on 4/7/18 vs. Swope Park Rangers...defender Joshua Yaro recorded his first assist of the season on the goal from Pecka
San Antonio FC recorded 67.2 percent of the possession in the match, marking the most they have recorded all season...SAFC also made their second-highest amount of passes in a single 2019 match (532), completing 87.4 percent of them
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 3, 2019
- Toros Late Attack Not Enough to Defeat 1868 FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Vital Three Points Keeps Indy Eleven in Third Place in Eastern Conference Race - Indy Eleven
- Three Goals = Three Points as Republic FC Come Away with 3-2 Road Win against San Antonio FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Reno Tops RGV on the Road to Earn Win Number 13 - Reno 1868 FC
- San Antonio FC Falls 2-3 to Republic FC Despite Strong Second Half - San Antonio FC
- Energy FC to Host Ward 7 Free Community Event - OKC Energy FC
- Roughnecks Tie It up Again with OKC - FC Tulsa
- Rowdies Run Wild, Hand Battery First Home Loss of the Season - Charleston Battery
- LouCity Beats Charlotte 1-0 on Luke Spencer's Goal - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Blast Memphis, 4-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Independence Edged out by Louisville - Charlotte Independence
- Nashville Run Win Streak to Three with 2-0 Victory over Swope Park - Nashville SC
- Fresno FC vs. Las Vegas Lights FC Preview - Fresno FC
- North Carolina FC Drops Tight Contest against Indy Eleven - North Carolina FC
- Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC Tops Memphis 901 FC in Keystone State - Memphis 901 FC
- El Paso-T2 Match Postponed - Portland Timbers 2
- Tonight's El Paso Locomotive FC Match vs Portland Timbers 2 Postponed - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Game Day: LouCity at Charlotte Independence - Louisville City FC
- How to Follow: Nashville SC at Swope Park Rangers - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Sweeps Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC in 1-0 Victory - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- Statement from San Antonio FC Managing Director Tim Holt
- San Antonio FC Earns 1-0 Victory over Reigning Champions Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Hosts USL Championship Title Holders in Season Opener
- San Antonio FC Signs Goalkeeper Carlos Mercado
- San Antonio FC Announces Fox Sports Southwest Schedule for 2020 Season