Toros Late Attack Not Enough to Defeat 1868 FC
EDINBURG, Texas - Rio Grande Valley FC (6-11-5, 23 pts.) fell to Reno 1868 FC (13-5-5, 44 pts.) this evening at H-E-B Park, 1-2. Andres Arcila scored his first goal of the season with the Toros.
Reno kicked off the match with a goal in the 9th minute following a corner. Seth Casiple sent a corner kick into the box where Thomas Janjigian headed the ball to the right side, splitting the defense, 0-1.
RGV FC snapped back when Arcila sent a strike to the top of the left side of the goal going past Matt Bersano equalizing within the minute, 1-1.
In the 20th minute, Aldan Apodaca drove the ball, taking Nico Corti and sending the ball past him to get the lead for Reno, 1-2.
Corti was tested once again in the 29th minute when Raul Mendiola sent a shot from outside the box to the top left corner but managed to save the third goal of the night.
Both squads continue to create action at H-E-B Park. In the 58th minute, Houston Dynamo loanee, Eric Bird took a right footed shot from the right side of the box but was saved at the top center of the goal. Two minutes later, the 1868 FC attacked when Apodaca sent a shot from the right side of the box but Corti saved it.
In the 62nd minute, Dynamo loanee, Michael Salazar headed the ball from the center of the box but was blocked. Jesus Enriquez took a left footed shot from the center of the box but was blocked off.
Salazar had another attempt when he headed the ball after a cross from Isidro Martinez but hit the right post in the 65th minute. One minute later, he shot from outside the box but was blocked, once again.
Enriquez had a dangerous attack when he took a left footed shot from the right side of the box but sent it too high and wide to the left in the 71st minute. Reno 1868 had an attempt when Casiple sent a left footed shot from outside the box but missed to the right.
RGV FC did not want to end the night without earning any points. In the 83rd minute, Camilo Monroy sent a shot from the left side of the box but hit the top crossbar. Bird sent a shot off of the deflection of Monroy's attempt but sent too high.
The Toros continued to attack before the final whistle. The squad had two back-to-back attempts when Robert Castellanos took a right footed shot from outside the box but was blocked by Reno's defense. Kyle Adams had the next attempt when he sent a shot from outside the box and 1868's defense blocked the shot.
Dynamo loanee, Sam Junqua, had the last attempt of the night when following a corner, he sent a left footed shot from outside the box but sent it too high.
RGV FC ended the night with a total of 21 shots, 16 in the second half, four on target. The Toros had 12 shots from outside the box tonight adding on 82.3 percent of passing accuracy. They held 50.5 percent of possession, 56.6 percent in the second half.
Reno 1868 totaled nine shots, four on target, and 83.5 percent of passing accuracy.
Defensively, Corti had two saves tonight. Castellanos totaled two clearances, three interceptions, one block and one tackle. In addition, he had 80 percent passing accuracy with 45 total passes adding one shot.
Junqua totaled two tackles, two clearances and led the team with 81 total touches. He also had 86.8 percent passing accuracy with 53 total passes.
Bird led the Toros with five total shots, one on target. Salazar added four total shots and three key passes.
RGV FC head on the road to go up against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC on Saturday, August 10. Kickoff will be at 7:00 p.m. CT. The match will be available on ESPN+.
Updates on the match will be provided via Twitter at @RGVFC or by following #SomosToros. To see more matchday information, visit www.rgvfc.com.
Scoring Summary: RGV FC - A. Arcila 10' (Assist by K. Rodriguez).
RNO - T. Janjigian 9' (Assist by S. Casiple), A. Apodaca 20' (Assist by C. Hertzog).
Misconduct Summary: RGV FC - Bird 73' YC.
RNO - Akanyirige 30' YC, Seymore 92' YC.
RNO - Bersano, Klimenta, Akanyirige (Richards 45'), Janjigian, Lacroix, Mfeka, Casiple, Mendiola (Gleadle 71'), Seymore, Hertzog, Apodaca (Musovski 85').
Subs: Carroll, Hernandez, Lewis, Aune.
Stats: Shots: 9 Shots on Goal: 4 Saves: 3 Fouls: 12 Corner Kicks: 3 Offsides: 2.
RGV FC - Corti, Samuels, Adams, Junqua, Castellanos, Enriquez (Lemoine 81'), Martinez, Bird, Rodriguez (Monroy 76'), Arcila (Small 68'), Salazar.
Subs: Donovan, Coronado, Willis, Hernandez.
Stats: Shots: 21 Shots on Goal: 4 Saves: 2 Fouls: 2 Corner Kicks: 9 Offsides: 0.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 3, 2019
- Toros Late Attack Not Enough to Defeat 1868 FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Vital Three Points Keeps Indy Eleven in Third Place in Eastern Conference Race - Indy Eleven
- Three Goals = Three Points as Republic FC Come Away with 3-2 Road Win against San Antonio FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Reno Tops RGV on the Road to Earn Win Number 13 - Reno 1868 FC
- San Antonio FC Falls 2-3 to Republic FC Despite Strong Second Half - San Antonio FC
- Energy FC to Host Ward 7 Free Community Event - OKC Energy FC
- Roughnecks Tie It up Again with OKC - FC Tulsa
- Rowdies Run Wild, Hand Battery First Home Loss of the Season - Charleston Battery
- LouCity Beats Charlotte 1-0 on Luke Spencer's Goal - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Blast Memphis, 4-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Independence Edged out by Louisville - Charlotte Independence
- Nashville Run Win Streak to Three with 2-0 Victory over Swope Park - Nashville SC
- Fresno FC vs. Las Vegas Lights FC Preview - Fresno FC
- North Carolina FC Drops Tight Contest against Indy Eleven - North Carolina FC
- Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC Tops Memphis 901 FC in Keystone State - Memphis 901 FC
- El Paso-T2 Match Postponed - Portland Timbers 2
- Tonight's El Paso Locomotive FC Match vs Portland Timbers 2 Postponed - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Game Day: LouCity at Charlotte Independence - Louisville City FC
- How to Follow: Nashville SC at Swope Park Rangers - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Sweeps Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC in 1-0 Victory - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Stories
- Kibato Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week
- Toros Fans Bring the Energy as RGV FC Defeat OKC 4-2 at Home
- Preview: RGV FC Hosts Breast Cancer Awareness Match on Saturday Night against the Energy
- Toros Earn First Win of the 2020 Season against the Bold
- RGV FC Hosts Austin Bold for a Midweek Match