Reno Tops RGV on the Road to Earn Win Number 13
Edinburg, Texas - Reno 1868 FC topped Rio Grande Valley FC on the road tonight to move to 13-5-5 on the season, and 6-4-2 on the road this season. Thomas Janjigian and Aidan Apodaca's first half goals were enough to secure the 2-1 victory and put Reno's point total to 44, extending their lead over Fresno FC for second place in the USL's Western Conference.
"It was a tough win, it's always a pretty difficult place to play, especially in July and August," said head coach Ian Russell. "But It was a win we grinded out. We were on our heels and defended the box well in the second half."
Janjigian's first goal of the season came in the ninth minute, heading in a Seth Casiple corner kick to make it 1-0. The goal came on just Janjugian's third shot of the season, and was Casiple's fifth assist on the season.
"He's been playing really well. Last year I felt he was one of the better center backs on our team and in the league. I think he's finding his form again at the right time," said Russell.
RGV would counter almost immediately, with a 10th minute goal tying the game up at 1-1.
In the 20th minute, Apodaca's fourth goal of the season would secure the victory. The goal total would make Reno 7-1-2 on the season when scoring two goals.
The boys in blue would withstand 16 RGV shots in the second half to hold on to the 2-1 lead. Reno was outshot overall 21-9, but moves to 7-3 on the season when being outshot.
"It was a lot of hard work. Our forwards had to lead the line in defending and they did that. We had to sit the line back deeper," said Russell. "It's just a testament to this team being able to win in different ways."
"You've got to be able to win different ways. Every team poses a different problem. The same thing doesn't always work."
Reno will head back home for next Saturday's 7:15 p.m. PT match against San Antonio FC. Tickets are available at reno1868fc.com or the Greater Nevada Field ticket office, and the first 1,000 fans will receive a free 1868 FC shirt.
Reno 1868 FC Starting XI
GK (12) Matt Bersano, D (29) Jacob Akanyirige, D (6) Thomas Janjigian, D (2) Emrah Klimenta
D (11) Duke Lacroix, M (84) Seth Casiple ©, M (8) Will Seymore, M (40) Raul Mendiola, M (10) Lindo Mfeka, F (21) Corey Hertzog, F (9) Danny Musovski
GK (25) Damion Lewis, D (5) Zach Carroll, D (13) Nathan Aune, M (20) Mark Hernandez, F (17) Aidan Apodaca, D (16) Brent Richards, M (23) Sam Gleadle
Thomas Janjigian 9"
Aidan Apodaca 20'
Seth Casiple 9"
Corey Hertzog 20'
45' Brent Richards Ã Jacob Akanyirige
72' Sam Gleadle Ã Raul Mendiola
85' Danny Musovski Ã Aidan Apodaca
Jacob Akanyirige 30'
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 3, 2019
- Toros Late Attack Not Enough to Defeat 1868 FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Vital Three Points Keeps Indy Eleven in Third Place in Eastern Conference Race - Indy Eleven
- Three Goals = Three Points as Republic FC Come Away with 3-2 Road Win against San Antonio FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Reno Tops RGV on the Road to Earn Win Number 13 - Reno 1868 FC
- San Antonio FC Falls 2-3 to Republic FC Despite Strong Second Half - San Antonio FC
- Energy FC to Host Ward 7 Free Community Event - OKC Energy FC
- Roughnecks Tie It up Again with OKC - FC Tulsa
- Rowdies Run Wild, Hand Battery First Home Loss of the Season - Charleston Battery
- LouCity Beats Charlotte 1-0 on Luke Spencer's Goal - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Blast Memphis, 4-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Independence Edged out by Louisville - Charlotte Independence
- Nashville Run Win Streak to Three with 2-0 Victory over Swope Park - Nashville SC
- Fresno FC vs. Las Vegas Lights FC Preview - Fresno FC
- North Carolina FC Drops Tight Contest against Indy Eleven - North Carolina FC
- Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC Tops Memphis 901 FC in Keystone State - Memphis 901 FC
- El Paso-T2 Match Postponed - Portland Timbers 2
- Tonight's El Paso Locomotive FC Match vs Portland Timbers 2 Postponed - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Game Day: LouCity at Charlotte Independence - Louisville City FC
- How to Follow: Nashville SC at Swope Park Rangers - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Sweeps Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC in 1-0 Victory - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno 1868 FC Stories
- Reno Inks Defender and Goalkeeper
- Reno 1868 FC to Compete in USL eCup: Rocket League Edition
- USL Announces Extension to Temporary Suspension of Competition
- Assistant Coach Casey Tate Moving on to Collegiate Position
- US Soccer Temporarily Suspends Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup