Saltdogs Use Pitching to Shut Down KC 7-0 in York
YORK, NE - Five Lincoln Saltdogs pitchers combined to throw a shutout as the Saltdogs beat the Kansas City T-Bones 7-0 at Levitt Stadium in York on Friday night.
The 'Dogs hurlers allowed just two hits in the game. Derek Gordon set the tone on the mound, going four innings and surrendering just two hits. Brian Smith tossed two scoreless frames next. Then, Leland Tilley, Eric Wooten and Jose Jose combined to retire the final nine T-Bones batters in order. Saltdogs pitchers struck out 11 batters.
The Saltdogs offense clicked early. Brandon Jacobs reached on an error in the bottom of the second inning and scored on an opposite-field home run by Chase Simpson. Then, Christian Ibarra drew a walk and Dashenko Ricardo singled to put runners at the corners for Ivan Marin. The second basemen, who had just nine RBIs all of last season, smacked an RBI double to make it 3-0. Two batters later, Angel Reyes notched a two-bagger to score a couple more runs.
Simpson went yard one more time. The slugger pulled a home run over the right field fence in the third inning to make it 6-0.
The 'Dogs tacked on a final run in the bottom of the ninth inning. Jake Wark was hit by a pitch and scored when the T-Bones' right fielder misplayed a Nathaniel Maggio single.
The Saltdogs did their damage on nine hits and had runners reach base in all but two innings. Lincoln did not commit an error while Kansas City made three miscues.
The exhibition was one of three preseason home games played outside of Lincoln. The York contest was sponsored by Coffin Wealth Management.
The Saltdogs continue their trek of four exhibitions in five days by hosting the Sioux City Explorers tomorrow night in Norfolk. First pitch is at 6:30 PM at Veterans Memorial Field. Play by play of the game will be broadcast on https://saltdogs.com/stream.
The Saltdogs are set to begin their 18th season in Lincoln on Thursday, May 17th. For more information on the Saltdogs, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball. For ticket information visit https://saltdogs.com/tickets/ or call (402) 474-2255.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 11, 2018
- Saltdogs Use Pitching to Shut Down KC 7-0 in York - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Early Homers Doom Wingnuts in Exhibition Loss - Wichita Wingnuts
- RedHawks Rally Past Goldeyes in Spring Contest - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Sign Bowen to Round out Spring Roster - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Start Trek Of Exhibition Games - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Explorers Bats Come Alive in Win over Canaries - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones Continue Exhibition Dominance, Sweeping RailCats - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lincoln Saltdogs Stories
- Saltdogs Hosting League Meetings
- Saltdogs Collect Talented Group of Players to Complete Earlier Trades
- Haymarket Park Picked as 'Field of the Year' for the 18th Straight Season
- 2018 Season Recap
- Season Recap: Third Straight Winning Season Marked by Great Moments