Early Homers Doom Wingnuts in Exhibition Loss
WICHITA, Kans. - A pair of two-run homers from Garrett Copeland and four scoreless innings from Jeff McKenzie propelled the Gary SouthShore RailCats past the Wichita Wingnuts 9-2 on Friday night at Maize High School.
Copeland was in the middle of the RailCats two multi-run innings, connecting on two-run shots in the first and fifth innings, the latter part of a five-run frame that put Gary in front 9-0. That proved to be more than enough support for the southpaw McKenzie, who navigated through four scoreless innings while scattering three hits and one walk.
The Wingnuts threatened a number of times, including putting the first two runners on in the fourth. But McKenzie worked out of the inning by inducing a pair of pop outs and a fielder's choice.
Nick Kaye got the Wingnuts on the board with a opposite field home run to lead off the bottom of the eighth. Abel Nieves roped a pair of doubles and drove in a run in a three-hit performance for Wichita.
The Wingnuts bullpen settled in the back half of the ballgame, blanking Gary in the final four frames. Seth Harvey, Daniel Tillman, and James Campbell recorded 10 of the final 12 outs via strikeout to curb the Gary attack.
The two teams will face off again at 2:05 PM on Saturday, May 12th at Maize High School. Admission is free.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 11, 2018
- Saltdogs Use Pitching to Shut Down KC 7-0 in York - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Early Homers Doom Wingnuts in Exhibition Loss - Wichita Wingnuts
- RedHawks Rally Past Goldeyes in Spring Contest - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Sign Bowen to Round out Spring Roster - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Start Trek Of Exhibition Games - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Explorers Bats Come Alive in Win over Canaries - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones Continue Exhibition Dominance, Sweeping RailCats - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.