Saints Win Goal-Fest against Green Bay with 6-5 Victory
In a wild, back and forth battle, the Dubuque Fighting Saints edged the Green Bay Gamblers 6-5 at Mystique Community Ice Center. The win gave Dubuque the victory in the season series as they knocked off Green Bay for the third time in four games. Dubuque never trailed, scoring three times in the first to jump out to an early lead.
-The Fighting Saints once again followed up a five goal outburst with another five-plus goal game. The Fighting Saints have now scored 16 goals in their last four games after averaging just 2.12 in their first 12 since break.
-Dubuque received tallies from the usual suspects in Matias Maccelli and Logan Pietila, but also from less likely players. Simon Kjellberg kicked off the scoring with his second of the season and Cooper Haar scored a gorgeous game winner with about five minutes left.
-Green Bay battled back time and time again to a one goal deficit but were never able to tie things up. The Gamblers were down 4-3 after two and then down 5-4 and 6-5. Green Bay had two goals from Rory Herrman and two goals from Gleb Murtazin.
-It was not a night for the goaltenders, but both made a few big saves in the game. Maksim Zhukov stopped 22 shots for Green Bay and Matthew Thiessen had 31 saves for the Fighting Saints.
-It was the third game this season in which the Fighting Saints and their opponents combined for 11 goals. The other two resulted in loses for Dubuque, 8-3 and 7-4 to the U-18 team. Dubuque needed all six of their goals in this game to come out on top.
-With the win, the Fighting Saints snapped a three game losing streak at home. Dubuque hadn't won a home game since the 13th of January. They also pushed forward two more points in the standings and despite CR's win and Youngstown's the Saints maintained their one point hold on fourth.
-Green Bay has now lost six-straight games and are two points further out of a playoff spot. The Gamblers slide continues but they are far from mathematically eliminated. Currently they are five points back of Team USA who moved up to the six-slot.
-Logan Pietila scored a goal and played his 100th game with the Fighting Saints. Pietila had a pretty deflection on a goal from Matias Maccelli on the power play. Dubuque is now 5 for their last 16 on the man advantage.
-Speaking of Maccelli, he hit the 50-point mark and then some in this game. The wingers third three-point game helped Dubuque to win 20 and he now sits third in the USHL in scoring.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 15, 2019
- Offense Explodes as Phantoms Down USA 8-3 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Despite Strong Start, Aces Can't Hold off Storm - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Muskegon Drops First Game of Season to Rival Chicago - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Stein Stops Them All - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Musketeers Get A Huge Come From Behind Win In Omaha - Sioux City Musketeers
- Saints Win Goal-Fest against Green Bay with 6-5 Victory - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Stampede's Win Streak Snapped in Plymouth - Sioux Falls Stampede
- NEWS: Storm Forward Benji Eckerle Announces Commitment to Arizona - Tri-City Storm
- Ohrvall's Future in Ann Arbor - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Gameday Preview: Storm Set for Battle with Flying Aces - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dubuque Fighting Saints Stories
- Weekend Primer: Saints Take Unbeaten Record on Road against Des Moines and Sioux City
- Dubuque Tops Tri-City with Three in the Third
- Pregame Primer: Dubuque Treks to Tri-City for First True Road Game
- Saints Score Twice on Power Play in Third to Beat Capitols 3-2
- Pregame Primer: Saints Host Capitols for Home Opener