Saints Set Franchise Record for Runs in a Series, Win 15-13 in 10 over Canaries
This is the 27th season of St. Paul Saints baseball and they have never scored more runs in a four-game series than the 55 they put up on the Sioux Falls Canaries the last four days. It didn't come easy as they led 12-3, but had to win it 15-13 in 10 innings on Thursday night at Sioux Falls Stadium. The two teams combined for 93 runs in the four-game series (the Colorado Rockies and San Diego Padres set the Major League record this past weekend with 92 runs scored in four games)
With the game tied at 13 in the 10th and two outs Joey Wong lined a single into right. Max Murphy, who had a monster series, lined a laser down the right field line that just cleared the wall to give the Saints a 15-13 lead. The home runs was the fifth of the series for Murphy and his league leading 11th of the season. Murphy went 3-7 with a double, home run, two RBI and two runs scored. He went 13-23 with five doubles, five home runs, 13 RBI and 11 runs scored in the four game series.
The Saints looked like they were going to cruise to victory building up a 12-3 lead. Down 2-0 in the third they scored seven getting a two-run single from Dan Motl to tie the game at two. With two on and two outs Devon Rodriguez made it 3-2 with an RBI single. A walk to Josh Allen loaded the bases which brought up Chesny Young. He crushed a grand slam to left, the first of his career, giving the Saints a 7-2 lead. The four RBI were a career high.
With the score 7-3 in the fourth, Brady Shoemaker reached on an error by the third baseman Mitch Glasser. With two outs Jeremy Martinez walked. He has now reached base safely for the 26th consecutive game. Rodriguez dropped in another RBI single making it 8-3. Josh Allen hit a three-run homer to make it 11-3.
The Saints tacked on a run in the fifth when Burt Reynolds singled home a run making it 12-3.
In the bottom of the inning, however, the Canaries put up their first five run inning of the night getting a two-run single from Brett Vertigan, a two-run double from Glasser and an RBI single from Kevin Taylor in successive at bats making it 12-8.
The Saints added a run in the seventh on four consecutive walks and took a 13-8 lead in the eighth.
With two outs and nobody on in the eighth Alay Lago singled and Trae Santos followed with a single. Landon Beck took over and gave up a single to Clint Coulter to load the bases. Jordan Ebert then hit a fly ball to left center that Reynolds dropped allowing three runs to score making it 13-11. Andrew Ely followed with a two-run homer to tie the game.
The 55 runs scored by the Saints topped the 42 they put up against the Gary SouthShore RailCats from May 19-22, 2016 at CHS Field.
The Saints return home on Friday at 7:05 p.m. to begin a three-game series against the Gary SouthShore RailCats. The Saints are TBA and the RailCats send LHP Lars Liguori (3-3, 6.38). It's a Family Affair presented by Securian Financial with post-game Xcel Energy Friday Night Fireworks set to the music of family bands.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 21, 2019
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RedHawks Outduel Dogs for Fourth Straight Win - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Spirited Comeback Felled by Walk-Off - Cleburne Railroaders
- T-Bones Walk off Railroaders in Series Opener - Kansas City T-Bones
- 'Dogs Win Second Straight Behind Ibarra's Three Hits - Lincoln Saltdogs
- 'Cats Drop Fifth Straight Game in 2-1 Hearbreaking Loss to Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Jordan Twirls Another Masterpiece - Sioux City Explorers
- Pitching Prevails as Saints Capitalize on Late Error for 2-1 Win over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Cleburne Acquires Experienced Righty Johnson - Cleburne Railroaders
- 'Dogs Host Annual Homer's Heroes Game on Saturday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Cleburne Rallies Twice Past AirHogs - Cleburne Railroaders
- Lambson Goes Distance Again as Bats Explode against Dogs - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Birds Lose Series with Saints in Extras - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saints Set Franchise Record for Runs in a Series, Win 15-13 in 10 over Canaries - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Flicks and Treats: Double Feature of Hocus Pocus and Ghostbusters Highlight Saints' Halloween Special on October 30
- Voters to Decide as Trump Takes on Biden in Bobblection
- CHS Field Receives American Association Playing Surface of the Year Honor
- Saints Wrap up 2020 Season with 7-4 Loss to RedHawks
- Devine Becomes Saints First Ever American Association Pitcher of the Year, Reynolds and Chinea Named Post-Season All-Stars