Saints Defenseman Burgin Commits to St Lawrence
Drake Burgin, a 2020 Phase II Draft pick by the Dubuque Fighting Saints, has announced his commitment to St. Lawrence University. Burgin became the second player with Saints ties to ink his commitment this week, joining Saints affiliate Chase LaPinta who committed to Arizona State.
Burgin enters Saints Training Camp with plenty of junior experience already under his belt, having played in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League for the Winkler Flyers. Last season, Burgin was named the MJHL Defenseman of the Year last season after 53 points in 60 games.
"Drake is a great skater who is effective in both ends of the rink," said GM Kalle Larsson. "We look forward to seeing him compete with our other defensemen in training camp. We're excited for him and his family that they have secured a commitment to St. Lawrence."
Burgin will enter camp with a very experience group of skaters on the blue line. The Saints returning depth is rooted in their defensemen and the team have also brought in experience from other leagues, like Burgin from the MJHL.
"This commitment is such an honor," said Burgin. "I'm glad all the hard work I put in has paid off. I couldn't be more excited to start a new journey as a D1 athlete."
Burgin is the first Saint to commit to St. Lawrence since Keenan Suthers in 2016-17. The Saints will begin Training Camp in the next few days as they prepare to start their season on November 6th.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from October 7, 2020
- USHL Finishes 2020 NHL Draft with 51 Selections - USHL
- Boston Bruins Select Two Youngstown Phantoms in the NHL Draft - Youngstown Phantoms
- 18 Players with USA Hockey NTDP Ties Selected in 2020 NHL Draft - U.S. National Team
- Steel Set Franchise NHL Draft Record with Eight Selections - Chicago Steel
- Multiple Storm Players Selected at 2020 NHL Draft - Tri-City Storm
- Hawks Vet Schingoethe Drafted - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Lumberjacks' Gushchin Drafted by NHL's San Jose Sharks - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Draft Day for Rolston - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Saints Defenseman Burgin Commits to St Lawrence - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Stampede Release Covid Readiness Plan - Sioux Falls Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dubuque Fighting Saints Stories
- Saints Set for Two Game Series in Green Bay
- Saints Announce Leadership Group for Remainder of Season
- Stella Commits to American International College
- Dubuque Completes Two Win Weekend with 5-2 Victory
- Savoie and Kurth Shine in Dubuque 7-4 Win over Waterloo