Hawks Vet Schingoethe Drafted
Waterloo, Iowa - When the new Waterloo Black Hawks schedule opens next month, third-year forward Wyatt Schingoethe will take the ice at Young Arena as an official prospect of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Wednesday afternoon, Toronto chose Schingoethe during the Seventh Round of the 2020 NHL Draft. The selection makes Schingoethe the 52nd NHL Draft pick to play in Waterloo under Head Coach P.K. O'Handley.
Ahead of the 2018/19 season, the Hawks acquired Schingoethe through the United States Hockey League's tender agreement process. As a 16-year-old rookie that winter, he played in every game and tied for sixth in team scoring with 33 points (11 goals, 22 assists).
A year later, in just 47 games during the USHL's abbreviated 2019/20 campaign, Schingoethe notched 38 points. His 17 goals were second on the team and included a hat trick versus the Sioux City Musketeers on March 7th. In addition to his offensive contribution, the University of Denver recruit delivered one of the best plus/minus differentials on the team. His +17 mark was fourth among the Black Hawks and tied for 18th league-wide.
During the winter, Schingoethe was selected for January's highly-scouted BioSteel All-American Game. He climbed steadily in the estimation of NHL evaluators during 2019/20, moving from 132nd in the NHL Central Scouting midterm rankings to 91st among the final list of draft-eligible North American skaters released in April.
In 2008, former Black Hawk Jason Blake was a Maple Leaf when he won the NHL's Bill Masterton Trophy after recovering from leukemia. Blake played in Toronto for parts of three seasons. The Leafs have previously selected two Waterloo skaters during the draft: Tony Cameranesi (2011) and Lubos Velebny (2000).
Schingoethe and the Hawks play their first game of 2020/21 on Friday, November 6th against the Omaha Lancers.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from October 7, 2020
- USHL Finishes 2020 NHL Draft with 51 Selections - USHL
- Boston Bruins Select Two Youngstown Phantoms in the NHL Draft - Youngstown Phantoms
- 18 Players with USA Hockey NTDP Ties Selected in 2020 NHL Draft - U.S. National Team
- Steel Set Franchise NHL Draft Record with Eight Selections - Chicago Steel
- Multiple Storm Players Selected at 2020 NHL Draft - Tri-City Storm
- Hawks Vet Schingoethe Drafted - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Lumberjacks' Gushchin Drafted by NHL's San Jose Sharks - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Draft Day for Rolston - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Saints Defenseman Burgin Commits to St Lawrence - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Stampede Release Covid Readiness Plan - Sioux Falls Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.