18 Players with USA Hockey NTDP Ties Selected in 2020 NHL Draft
PLYMOUTH, Mich. - Eighteen players with ties to USA Hockey's National Team Development Program were selected in the 2020 NHL Draft that concluded tonight, Oct. 7.
Defenseman Jake Sanderson (Whitefish, Mont.) was selected by the Ottawa Senators with the fifth overall pick, marking the third straight year the NTDP has produced a top-5 selection in the draft. After Sanderson, 17 other NTDP players heard their names throughout rounds 2-7 of the draft.
Thomas Bordeleau (Houston, Texas) went 38th overall to the San Jose Sharks. The center led the U.S. National Under-18 Team with 46 points in 47 games during the 2019-20 season.
The NTDP then reeled off four straight selections from picks 44-47 in the second round. Defenseman Tyler Kleven (Fargo, N.D.) was the second player selected in the round, joining Sanderson as property of the Senators.
Fellow blueliner Brock Faber (Maple Grove, Minn.) was picked next at 45th overall by the Los Angeles Kings, followed by goaltender Drew Commesso (Norwell, Mass.) to the Chicago Blackhawks with the 46th pick. Commesso recorded the second-best single-season goals-against average in NTDP history with his 2.05 mark during the 2019-20 campaign.
Luke Tuch (Baldwinsville, N.Y.) rounded out the NTDP run at 47th overall, where he was selected by the Montreal Canadiens. Tuch produced 30 points (15G, 15A) in 47 games last year. Tuch's selection marked the second straight draft that NTDP players were chosen with four consecutive picks.
Forward Ty Smilanic (Denver, Colo.) started the NTDP's representation in Round 3, when he was selected by the Florida Panthers with the 74th pick. Landon Slaggert (South Bend, Ind.) was chosen five picks later, 79th overall, by the Chicago Blackhawks. Slaggert and Commesso became the second pairing of NTDP players selected to the same NHL franchise.
Forward Dylan Peterson (Roseville, Calif.) went to the St. Louis Blues at pick 86 to round out the third round.
Eamon Powell (Marcellus, N.Y.) was the next NTDP skater selected when he was drafted by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the fourth round, with the 116th overall selection. Powell's 14 points (6G, 8A) ranked third last season among U18 defensemen.
Forward Brett Berard (East Greenwich, R.I.) and defenseman Jacob Truscott (Port Huron, Mich.) represented the NTDP in the fifth round. Berard was chosen by the New York Rangers at pick 134 after he finished third overall on the U18s in scoring with 34 points (16G, 18A) this past year. Truscott followed to the Vancouver Canucks with the 144th selection of the draft.
Chase Yoder (Fairview, Texas) marked the final pick directly from the NTDP, when he went to the Pittsburgh Penguins in the sixth round, number 170 overall. Yoder accumulated 20 points (10G, 10A) in his final season in Plymouth.
In addition to players selected directly from the NTDP, two alums were chosen in the draft. Sean Farrell (Hopkinton, Mass. / 2017-19) was selected by the Montreal Canadiens with the 124th pick and Ryder Rolston (Birmingham, Mich. / 2017-19) went to the Colorado Avalanche at pick 139.
Three players who appeared in at least game one game with the NTDP were also selected: Ian Moore (Concord, Mass.) went to the Anaheim Ducks in the third round, Blake Biondi (Hermantown, Minn.) was selected by the Canadiens at pick 109 and Kienan Draper (Detroit, Mich.) was chosen by the Detroit Red Wings in the draft's final round.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from October 7, 2020
- USHL Finishes 2020 NHL Draft with 51 Selections - USHL
- Boston Bruins Select Two Youngstown Phantoms in the NHL Draft - Youngstown Phantoms
- 18 Players with USA Hockey NTDP Ties Selected in 2020 NHL Draft - U.S. National Team
- Steel Set Franchise NHL Draft Record with Eight Selections - Chicago Steel
- Multiple Storm Players Selected at 2020 NHL Draft - Tri-City Storm
- Hawks Vet Schingoethe Drafted - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Lumberjacks' Gushchin Drafted by NHL's San Jose Sharks - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Draft Day for Rolston - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Saints Defenseman Burgin Commits to St Lawrence - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Stampede Release Covid Readiness Plan - Sioux Falls Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent U.S. National Team Stories
- Mike Leone Promoted to Assistant Coach, Greg Mauldin and Kevin Porter Named to NTDP Coaching Staff
- 18 Players with USA Hockey NTDP Ties Selected in 2020 NHL Draft
- David Lassonde Named National Goaltending Coach for USA Hockey
- Dan Muse and Adam Nightingale Named NTDP Head Coaches
- 2020-21 U.S. National Under-17 Team Announced