Saints Beat Goldeyes
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes (48-38) lost 17-5 to the St. Paul Saints at Shaw Park on Sunday evening.
The Saints took a 1-0 lead in the top of the second on a Chris Baker RBI single.
Dominic Ficociello tied the game in the bottom half with a solo home run to right-centre field.
In the top of the fourth, the Saints re-took the lead with six two-out runs. Dan Motl, Michael Lang, and Brady Shoemaker hit consecutive RBI singles, while Jabari Henry capped the rally with a three-run home run that just cleared the wall down the right field line.
Ficociello cut the deficit to 7-2 in the bottom of the fourth with an RBI single to right that scored Kyle Martin. Martin had walked with one out and took third when Reggie Abercrombie singled through the left side.
St. Paul extended the lead to 8-2 when Josh Allen led off the top of the fifth with a home run. The Saints made it 11-2 in the sixth on an RBI single from Shoemaker and a two-out, two-run single from Baker.
In the bottom of the sixth, Martin walked leading off and advanced to second when Abercrombie reached on an infield single. Ficociello followed with his second homer of the game, a three-run shot to right that pulled Winnipeg within 11-5. The two home runs and five RBI both tied career single-game highs.
The Saints added six runs in the top of the ninth to provide the game's final margin. Lang hit a two-run double, Shoemaker chipped in an RBI single, Chesny Young drew a bases loaded walk, and Baker hit a two-out, two-run double.
Ryan Zimmerman (7-3) picked up the win for the Saints (53-33), allowing five earned runs on six hits in six innings. Zimmerman walked three and struck out six.
Parker French (5-5) took the loss for the Goldeyes, allowing three runs, one earned, on five hits in three and one-third innings. French walked two and struck out two.
Christian Torres pitched three scoreless innings of relief for the Goldeyes.
The Goldeyes and Saints play for the final time in the regular season on Monday night. First pitch at Shaw Park is at 7:05 p.m. Kevin McGovern (11-6, 3.65) faces right-hander Landon Beck (4-2, 3.54). Advance tickets are on sale now by visiting www.goldeyes.com/tickets or by visiting the box office at Shaw Park.
For information on 2019 season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group tickets, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 18, 2019
- Offense Explodes in Sioux Falls - Cleburne Railroaders
- RedHawks Prove No Lead Is Safe at Home - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Walk Off Saltdogs - Texas AirHogs
- Big Innings Drive RailRoaders Past Birds - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- 'Dogs Walked off in Texas - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Milkmen Hit Well, Unable to Score - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Barnum Homers Twice in Shutout Win over Milkmen - Chicago Dogs
- 5-Run 8th Inning Lead Not Enough in 6-5 Loss to Fargo-Moorhead - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Beat Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Reel off Sixth Straight Victory with 17-5 Thumping of Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Final Homestand Approaches - Sioux City Explorers
- Birds Sign Former Triple-A Pitcher Seddon - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Milkmen Beat RailCats 3-2 to Win Series - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Canaries' Ely Signs with Pirates - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.