Sabally and Rookies Shine in 76-73 Comeback against Fever
The Dallas Wings (2-1) overcame a 14-point deficit to take down the Indiana Fever (1-2) late in the fourth quarter and walk away with a 76-73 win Friday night. Satou Sabally, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2020 WNBA Draft, led the Wings with her first career double-double, racking up 23 points and 17 rebounds, including three clutch baskets in the final quarter and the two free throws to push the lead to three with just over three seconds left on the clock. The former Oregon Duck marked herself in the franchise record book as the first rookie to score 20 or more points and pull down 15 or more rebounds in a single game.
Second-year Guard Arike Ogunbowale continued her consistent point production by netting her sixteenth straight game of at least 15 points, ending with 15 total points, and veteran forward Kayla Thornton was just one rebound short of a double-double herself, scoring 11 points to go along with nine rebounds and a steal. The Wings have had at least three players in double-digit scoring outputs every game this season.
After becoming the first team in WNBA history to start with back-to-back 90-point games after not reaching that mark once the previous season, the Wings bucked their own trend again by winning a game despite shooting less than 40 percent from the field. The Wings were 2-18 last year when shooting less than 40 percent.
The Wings are dealt the Las Vegas Aces this Sunday, August 2 at 5 p.m. and the game will be shown on ESPN2.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from August 1, 2020
- Fever and Dream Meet for First Time on Sunday Afternoon - Indiana Fever
- Aces Look to Get Back to .500, Sunday, with 3 Pm PT Tip against Dallas - Las Vegas Aces
- Lindsay Allen Returns to Aces Following Second Straight Negative COVID-19 Test - Las Vegas Aces
- Minnesota Lynx Postgame Notes - Minnesota Lynx
- Wings Deal with Aces Sunday on ESPN2 - Dallas Wings
- Sabally and Rookies Shine in 76-73 Comeback against Fever - Dallas Wings
- Phoenix Mercury Postgame Notes - Phoenix Mercury
- Aces Erase 23-Point Deficit, But Can't Complete Comeback in 102-95 Loss at Phoenix - Las Vegas Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.