Rush Drop 3-2 Overtime Decision in Game Three
(Independence, MO) - At the Independence Events Center on Wednesday night, the Rapid City Rush had a chance to push the Missouri Mavericks to the brink of elimination in game three of the CHL's opening round series. Despite trailing in both the second and third periods, the Mavericks battled back to force overtime and eventually claimed a 3-2 win. The Rush now lead the best-of-seven series 2-1 with game four set for Friday at 6:05pm MST
After stellar goaltending by both Tim Boron and Mathieu Corbeil through the opening twenty minutes, both teams were finally able to break through in the second period. Rapid City drew first blood when Scott Brannon collected his first pro playoff point with a goal set up by Dan Gendur on a two-on-one chance. Less than four minutes later, the Mavericks answered back when Andrew Courtney exited the penalty box and capitalized on a breakaway at the 6:49 mark.
The teams again exchanged goals midway through the third, beginning with Damian Surma's tally at the 8:29 mark, his first goal since February 15th giving Rapid City a 2-1 lead. Only 2:08 later, Courtney struck again, this time deflecting a shot from Dave Pszenyczny to force the eventual overtime period.
With a powerplay chance early in the overtime frame, Pszenyczny set up Kellan Tochkin at the bottom of the right circle, and the rookie lifted a shot to the short side for the 3-2 game winner.
Other Rush News:
The Rush for the Cup is back! Don't miss a second of the 2013 CHL Playoffs - reserve your playoff package now through the Rush office, Packages start as low as $150. Get yours now by calling the Rush at 716-PUCK or visiting the guest services booth during any Rush home game.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2013
- Brahmas Take 3-0 Series Lead in Dramatic Fashion - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavericks Win Game Three Thriller in Overtime, 3-2, over Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Brahmas Defeat Mallards in Overtime, Push Flock to Brink - Quad City Mallards
- Rush Drop 3-2 Overtime Decision in Game Three - Rapid City Rush
- Americans to Host Tailgate Party Prior to Game 5 this Saturday - Allen Americans
- Game 4 Preview - Wichita Thunder
- Series Shifts To Quad Cities With Brahmas Holding 2-0 Edge - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sundogs Lose in Sudden Death Overtime, 2-1 - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Come Back to Win 2-1 in OT - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.