Rubio, Yarbrough Named to MLS Team of the Week, Rubio Nominated for Goal of the Week
Diego Rubio's stunning free kick and goalkeeper William Yarbrough's performance in goal helped guide the Colorado Rapids to their first win of the 2021 season on Sunday night and earn them both a place on the MLS Team of the Week for Week 3.
Rubio's goal (read: golazo) was his first of the season and his 30th regular season goal in MLS. The Chilean international has recorded three goals and one assist in his last two visits to Rio Tinto Stadium-the Whitecaps' temporary home this year due to travel restrictions between the U.S. and Canada-after also notching two goals and an assist in the club's record 5-0 win over Real Salt Lake last year. The Rapids are now 8-2-3 (W-L-D) all-time when Rubio scores in a game, including an active stretch of five consecutive wins with his goal against Vancouver.
Yarbrough, who permanently joined the Rapids from Club León during the offseason, made three important saves to maintain the club's second clean sheet in as many road games this season. The shutout was his sixth of his career with the Burgundy Boys.
The Rapids will look to keep the momentum going as they face a rematch against their 2020 playoff rivals, Minnesota United FC, on Saturday, May 8. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. MT and the match will be streamed live on ColoradoRapids.com/live (in-market) and ESPN+ (out of market).
Team of the Week (4-3-3, right to left): Joe Willis (NSH), Anton Tinnerholm (NYC), James Sands (NYC), Ryan Shawcross (MIA), Brad Smith (SEA), Carles Gil (NE), Alexander Ring (ATX), Jackson Yueill (SJ), Cade Cowell (SJ), Raul Ruidiaz (SEA), Rubio Rubin (RSL)
Coach: Freddy Juarez (RSL)
Bench: William Yarbrough (COL), Andrew Farrell (NE), Ryan Hollingshead (DAL), Caden Clark (RBNY), Andres Ricaurte (DAL), Nani (ORL), Diego Rubio (COL)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 3, 2021
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Philadelphia Union - Atlanta United FC
- 17-Year-Old Cade Cowell Named MLS Player of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- San Jose Earthquakes Forward Cade Cowell Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Celebrate Mother's Day at DRV PNK Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Ryan Shawcross Named to MLS Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Weekly - LA Galaxy
- Rubio, Yarbrough Named to MLS Team of the Week, Rubio Nominated for Goal of the Week - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Loan Gilbert Fuentes and Casey Walls to Austin Bold FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids' May 8 Match against Minnesota United FC to be Livestreamed on ColoradoRapids.Com - Colorado Rapids
- Loan Stars: April 2021 - Charlotte FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Liam Fraser on Loan from Toronto FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Toronto FC Send Liam Fraser on Loan to Columbus Crew Sc - Toronto FC
- Local Columbus Crew SC Fan Tapped to Create New Legacy Mural in the Short North Arts District - Columbus Crew SC
- Takeaways: Road Warriors Top Whitecaps in Utah - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Jumps to Top of the West with 3-0 Home Victory over LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, Seattle Sounders FC 3 - LA Galaxy
- 'Caps suffer first defeat of the season against visiting Rapids - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Rubio's Strike Propels Rapids to First Victory - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Loan Darren Yapi to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Rapids Midfielder Younes Namli Undergoes Successful Ankle Surgery
- Through the First Seven Games, the Rapids Offense Is Firing on All Cylinders
- Know Your Opponent: FC Cincinnati
- Kickoff Times Adjusted for Colorado Rapids Matches on August 28, October 31