Local Columbus Crew SC Fan Tapped to Create New Legacy Mural in the Short North Arts District
COLUMBUS - The Short North Alliance and the Columbus Crew SC have partnered to create the next legacy mural for the Short North Arts District. Titled The Heart of Columbus, the mural is being created by seasoned local muralist and passionate Columbus Crew SC fan Stephen Davis. An alum of The Ohio State University, Davis was born and raised in Columbus and has created numerous public artworks across the city through Pierce Davis Design studio. The mural will be installed on the exterior 800 N. High Street in the Short North Arts District. The building, which houses several tenants, including The Moxy Hotel, was completed in 2019 and developed by Crawford-Hoying.
The Heart of Columbus is a love letter to fans, to the City, and to the world. It is personal, it is passionate, it is bold, and it brings a noise to the Short North Arts District that is impossible to ignore. The faces of fans are seen flowing in the Crew's signature flag. Elements of the new stadium, celebratory confetti, and stars symbolize the team as two-time MLS champions while paying homage and honoring the history and legacy of the team. And, the hands, inspired by a common love note passed from the Crew's players to the fans, showcase the teams love for the city and for the world as well as the unique and diverse community of Columbus.
"The Short North Alliance is proud to partner with the Columbus Crew to bring another unique and defining public artwork to the Short North Arts District" said Betsy Pandora, Executive Director of the Short North Alliance. "The District is the art and soul of Columbus. It is where our community comes together to celebrate, make voices heard, and support all that defines the spirit of our city. Like the Crew, the Heart of Columbus demonstrates the power of unity in action."
"We are excited to be working with the Short North Alliance to present this incredible Crew-themed public-art mural to our community," said Crew SC President & General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. "Like the culture of our Club, public art contributes to a community's identity, fosters community pride and creates a sense of belonging. This piece not only honors the history of our Club and our deep connection to the city, but it captures the passion and pride of our supporters and the ambition we share for the future of the Crew and for Columbus."
The artist envisions fans from all walks of life emulating the heart gesture of the hands (a favorite gesture among players) - whether they are fans of the team or fans of the art in the District, posting for selfies all around the building, and uniting everyone around whatever they value as their own Heart of Columbus.
"I am incredibly honored to have been chosen to create 'The Heart of Columbus' mural for the Columbus Crew and Short North Alliance," said Davis. "My intentions behind the mural are for people to feel the love and spirit that this humble midwest city embodies. After a close attempt to move the soccer club out of Columbus the community's support and love for the Crew kept them in the city, the fans banded together and #savedthecrew! It is that sense of solidarity and togetherness that makes Columbus and it deserves to be celebrated."
The Heart of Columbus was made possible with support from Columbus Crew SC, the Short North Alliance Art Fund, and Crawford Hoying.
About The Artists
Stephen Pierce Davis, Lead Artist
Stephen Pierce Davis,"Steve", is a local designer, artist and mural painter. As a Columbus native graduate of The Ohio State University, Davis has deep roots in and love for his hometown of Columbus, Ohio. During his time at OSU, Davis attended the SACI Institute of Art in Florence, Italy where he studied painting and printmaking. After graduating, he began his career as a graphic designer and artist for a Fortune 500 company before founding Pierce Davis Photography and Design in 2015. Mural work has become one of his preferred mediums in recent years, painting for several clients across the country and locally. One of his recent favorites was the colorful Ohio Black Lives Matter mural that he designed and painted with friends this past summer across from the Ohio Statehouse. Davis currently lives with his wife Ashley and pup Beans in Clintonville. Instagram handle: pierce_davis
Todd Mason, Supporting Artist
A native of Central Ohio, Todd Mason is Graphic Designer, Artist and Muralist based in Tacoma, WA.
Todd attended The Ohio State University, where he studied Fine Arts and holds a BFA in Photography. Todd is currently the Owner and Designer at Todd Mason Design in Tacoma, WA where he focuses on custom graphic design, illustration, hand-painted murals, and sign painting for an array of clientele and industries in the Pacific Northwest and beyond. He is also a massive fan of Columbus Crew SC.
Grace Grudowski, Supporting Artist
Originally from Marysville, Grace is a Columbus-based artist focusing on murals, ceramics, and hand lettering.
Jaspreet Mann, Supporting Artist
Jaspreet is a self-taught artist who is originally from Chicago but recently moved to Columbus. His primary media are acrylics with a focus on abstract art.
Spencer Mustine, Supporting Artist
Spencer Mustine is a Columbus native. He specializes in abstract and figurative painting, drawing, and wood sculpture. After earning a BFA from Ohio Wesleyan, Spencer has worked as an art installer, muralist, production artist, and also helped develop and rehab creative spaces.
Jorge Sanclemente, Supporting Artist
Jorge Sanclemente is a graphic designer and illustrator from Bogota, Colombia. He has worked in the creative design field for more than 25 years. Jorge plays and coaches soccer in Delaware Ohio where he lives with his family.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 3, 2021
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Philadelphia Union - Atlanta United FC
- 17-Year-Old Cade Cowell Named MLS Player of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- San Jose Earthquakes Forward Cade Cowell Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Celebrate Mother's Day at DRV PNK Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Ryan Shawcross Named to MLS Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Weekly - LA Galaxy
- Rubio, Yarbrough Named to MLS Team of the Week, Rubio Nominated for Goal of the Week - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Loan Gilbert Fuentes and Casey Walls to Austin Bold FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids' May 8 Match against Minnesota United FC to be Livestreamed on ColoradoRapids.Com - Colorado Rapids
- Loan Stars: April 2021 - Charlotte FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Liam Fraser on Loan from Toronto FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Toronto FC Send Liam Fraser on Loan to Columbus Crew Sc - Toronto FC
- Local Columbus Crew SC Fan Tapped to Create New Legacy Mural in the Short North Arts District - Columbus Crew SC
- Takeaways: Road Warriors Top Whitecaps in Utah - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Jumps to Top of the West with 3-0 Home Victory over LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, Seattle Sounders FC 3 - LA Galaxy
- 'Caps suffer first defeat of the season against visiting Rapids - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Rubio's Strike Propels Rapids to First Victory - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew Bids Farewell to Historic Crew Stadium against Chicago Fire FC Tonight
- Columbus Crew Announces Single-Match Tickets for Lower.com Field Are Now on Sale
- Introducing Lower.com Field: Columbus Crew Announces Long-Term Stadium Naming Rights Partnership with Lower
- Columbus Crew Announces Activations for Farewell to Historic Crew Stadium Match this Saturday
- Columbus Crew Players and Staff Presented with 2020 MLS Cup Championship Ring