RubberDucks Hold off Richmond Flying Squirrels, 3-2, in Series Finale
The Akron RubberDucks offense gave just enough run support to earn Juan Hillman his league-leading seventh win of the season, 3-2, in Sunday's series finale at Canal Park.
The RubberDucks offense finally got off the ground in the fifth inning as they plated their only three runs of the ballgame, which included a Will Benson line drive into right field and a Steven Kwan sacrifice fly to put the Ducks up 3-1.
Juan Hillman took the bump for the RubberDucks and posted his longest outing since June 22, going six innings of work. The Ducks ace only allowed a total of four base hits and two walks, while striking out five batters on only 62 total pitches. Thomas Ponticelli once again showed his versality for the Ducks as he came on in relief for Hillman, going 2.2 innings, allowing four hits and one earned run while striking out three Flying Squirrels. When Ponticelli ran into trouble in the top of the ninth, Ben Krauth slammed the door shut for the Ducks, striking out the only batter he faced and preserved the 3-2 victory for the good guys.
Akron once again utilized a multi-run inning in Sunday's victory, and pulled their record in one-run games to 11-11 on the season. The Ducks continued their dominance at the friendly confines of Canal Park as they improved their home record to 25-11, adding yet another series victory to their first place standing. The RubberDucks only left four runners on base despite posting a 1-for-6 line with runners in scoring position.
Time of Game: 2:17 ... Attendance: 4,088
On the Pond
The RubberDucks will now hit the road to take on the Erie SeaWolves for a six-game set in Pennsylvania. The Ducks will return to the Rubber city August 3-August 8 as Union Home Mortgage welcomes fans back home to Canal Park. The game broadcast, powered by FirstEnergy, is on 640 WHLO, the WHLO iHeartRadio channel, and the TuneIn Radio App, and available on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from July 25, 2021
- Patriots Flatten the Curve in Shutout on Sunday - Altoona Curve
- Patriots Shut out Curve in Finale - Somerset Patriots
- Senators Walked off at Portland... Again - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Walk-Off with a Win for the Third Straight Game - Portland Sea Dogs
- RubberDucks Hold off Richmond Flying Squirrels, 3-2, in Series Finale - Akron RubberDucks
- Goats Hit Four Home Runs In 13-6 Victory Over Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- Yard Goats Pound Baysox with 18-Hit Attack, Win 13-6 - Hartford Yard Goats
- Ponies Fall to SeaWolves in Series Finale - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Groshans, Castillo Lead Fisher Cats to 3-1 Win over Fightin Phils - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Flying Squirrels Drop Fifth Straight with 3-2 Loss to 'Ducks - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Erie Plates Nine Runs to Cap Binghamton Series with Win - Erie SeaWolves
- Reading Splits Series with New Hampshire in Sunday Loss - Reading Fightin Phils
- July 25, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Information - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- RubberDucks Encourage Fans to Arrive Early Friday Amid Akron Marathon Events
- Ducks Beat Bowie, 8-5, Stand One Win from Title
- RubberDucks to Donate $1 of Each Walkup Playoff Ticket to Somerset Community
- Battenfield Dominates, Ducks Win Game 1 in Bowie, 5-1
- RubberDucks in Double-A Northeast Championship Series Presented by Brennan Manna Diamond