RubberDucks Halted by Vieaux, Altoona Pen
Altoona's Cam Vieaux combined with two relievers on a five-hitter, and Ke'Bryan Hayes socked a two-run homer, as the Curve defeated the Akron RubberDucks, 4-1, Sunday night at PNG Field in Altoona, Pa.
The Curve (59-50) took a 2-0 lead in the third inning when Hayes belted a two-run homer to left field off Triston McKenzie (6-3). It was the seventh of the year for Hayes. McKenzie had issued a lead-off walk to Stephan Alemais to start the inning before serving up a one-out dinger to Hayes.
McKenzie gave another run in the sixth on a triple by Bryan Reynolds and an infield hit by Will Craig to make it 3-0. He was lifted after 5.1 innings. It was McKenzie's first loss since June 23rdand his first setback in three starts against Altoona. Jordan Milbrath took over for McKenzie in the sixth and worked 1.2 shutout innings to extend his scoreless streak to 9.2 innings over his last six outings.
Mark Mathias provided the only blemish in Vieaux's outing when he blasted a solo homer with two outs in the seventh. It was his seventh of the year. Vieaux lasted seven innings and scattered five hits with six strikeouts and no walks. Sean Kaselica tossed a scorless eighth, and closer Matt Eckelman turned in a 1-2-3 ninth for his 5thsave.
Altoona notched an insurance run against David Speer and Kieran Lovegrove in the eighth to make it 4-1...The Curve took two of three in the series and closed out the season series against Akron with a 12-10 record...Despite losing two of three over the weekend, the RubberDucks (66-47) still lead the Curve by five games in the EL West with 27 left to play...Time of game: 2:32... Attendance: 5,092.
On the Pond
Following an off-day Monday, the RubberDucks will open a six-game homestand with the first of three games against the Reading Fightin Phils on Tuesday night at 7:05. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 5, 2018
- Vieaux Dominates 'Ducks, Hayes Homers in Curve Win - Altoona Curve
- RubberDucks Halted by Vieaux, Altoona Pen - Akron RubberDucks
- 11th Inning Blast from Alvarez Leads 4-2 Win - Trenton Thunder
- Mandy Anything But Dandy for Goats, Who Lose Rubber Match - Hartford Yard Goats
- Reading Claims Series with 11-7 Win - Bowie Baysox
- Hernandez, Pujols, and Grullon all go deep to give Fightins season series against Bowie - Reading Fightin Phils
- Walk-Off Inside the Park HR Gives Fisher Cats Dramatic 7-6 Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Big Inning Dooms Senators in 7-2 Loss to Binghamton - Harrisburg Senators
- Spiedies Skewer Senators with Sizzling Sixth - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Cats Walk off with Inside the Park Homer - Erie SeaWolves
- Webb of Flies; Squirrels Homer Twice in Defeat - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Dalbec Powers the 'Dogs in a 7-3 Win - Portland Sea Dogs
- Reeves Added to Bullpen - Trenton Thunder
- SeaWolves Return Home Tuesday Night - Erie SeaWolves
- Game Notes vs NH - Erie SeaWolves
- Spiedies Game Notes: Game #113 - Spiedies (52-60) Vs. Senators (53-57) - 2:05 Pm - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 5th vs. Richmond - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.