Royals Sweep Hitmen
Victoria, BC - The Victoria Royals' offense came from seven different goal scorers as the club earned a 7-3 win over the Calgary Hitmen on Sunday night as the club swept the weekend series.
Game Summary - Scoring: Royals - Tyler Soy 1g-1a (Game Winner), Dante Hannoun 1g-1a, Noah Gregor 1g-1a, Lane Zablocki 1g-1a, Kade Jensen 1g-0a, Braydon Buziak 1g-0a, Andrei Grishakov 1g-0a, Tanner Kaspick 0g-1a, Dino Kambeitz 0g-1a, Mitchell Prowse 0g-1a, Jeff de Wit 0g-1a, Scott Walford 0g-1a, Matthew Phillips 0g-1a. Calgary - Luke Coleman 1g-1a, Tristen Nielsen 1g-0a, Jacob Stukel 1g-0a, Mark Kastelic 0g-1a.
Goaltending: Royals - Dean McNabb (W) - 60:00 Mins, 28 saves on 31 shots Calgary - Nick Schneider (L) - 26:14 Mins, 15 saves on 19 shots, Matthew Armitage - 33:45 Mins, 18 saves on 21 shots.
Power Play: Royals - 2/825.0% Calgary - 0/30.0%
Notes: Super Soy - With a goal tonight, Royals' forward Tyler Soy (138), now sits two goals away from tying former Chilliwack Bruin Ryan Howse's all-time franchise record for most career goals at 140. Three-in-Three - The Royals took home all six points this weekend as the club defeated the Hitmen on Saturday and Sunday, while also picking up a victory against the Vancouver Giants on Friday night. In the three games over the weekend, Victoria outscored their opponents 15-6. First of Many - Victoria forward Lane Zablocki and blueliner Kade Jensen, who were both acquired prior to the WHL Trade Deadline, each recorded their first goals as Royals. Seventh Heaven - In 51 contests this season, the Royals have now scored seven or more goals on eight separate occasions. Last year, the club completed four contests where the club recorded seven or more tallies.
The Boys Are Rollin' - Multiple Royals' skaters stretched their point scoring streaks tonight. Matthew Phillips has found the score sheet in 11 straight games and has recorded 21 points (7g-14a) during that span and Dante Hannoun has recorded 12 points (7g-5a) in his last eight contests. Noah Gregor has netted two goals and five assists in his last six contests. Tanner Kaspick has recorded points in four straight games with a total of six points (4g-2a).
Next Up - Victoria will travel to Kennewick, WA to face the Tri-City Americans this Wednesday, with puck drop is set for 7:05 p.m. Coming Home - The Royals return home on Friday, February 2nd for a match-up against the Medicine Hat Tigers at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 29, 2018
- January 29 - Canes Chatter - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Royals Sweep Hitmen - Victoria Royals
- AMERICANS GET PAST T-BIRDS - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Everett 6 - Spokane 5 (OT) (1-28-18) - Everett Silvertips
- Royals 7, Hitmen 3 - Calgary Hitmen
- WINTERHAWKS' JOHNSON RECEIVES WHL DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARD - WHL
- Recap: Regina Pats (1) vs Swift Current Broncos (4) - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Victoria Royals Stories
- Royals Select John Wilson to Chair 2020 Memorial Cup Bid Committee
- Royals' Khore Elliott Named to Hockey Canada's National Junior Team
- Royals Select Phillip Schultz in CHL Import Draft
- Royals Announce 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule
- Royals Sign Top Pick Nolan Bentham