Royals End Road Trip with 4-1 Loss against Cougars
Victoria, BC - The Victoria Royals (12-18-4-0) were defeated 4-1 by the Prince George Cougars (17-17-1-1) tonight during their fourth game in six days on the road.
Brayden Schuurman scored the lone goal for Victoria and Tyler Palmer earned the third star of the night for his performance in net. After allowing two quick goals in the first, Palmer settled into his crease and stopped 33 of 35 shots on goal. The second star of the night went to the Cougars netminder Ty Young, who made 22 saves on 23 shots. Koehn Zimmer earned the first star of the night for his two goals in the first.
Ziemmer scored the opening goal for the Cougars at 5:15 on an open net off the rebound with assists from Jaren Brinson and Bauer Dumanski. The Royals were pushing hard to get shots off with a few close calls on net, but it was the Cougars who led in shots 17-5. Keaton Dowhaniuk stole the puck on a turnover which led to a two-on-one for Ziemmer and Carter MacAdams when Ziemmer scored his second of the night to make it 2-0.
In the first ten minutes of the second, the Royals were dominating the play, keeping it in the Cougars zone but they were having trouble getting anything by Young. The team continued to drive towards the net when halfway through the period Schuurman scored on a shot from the point with assists from Matthew Hodson and Jason Spizawka to make it 2-1.
After a more defensive second period, the Royals were looking to even the score in the third. Even with some close calls, neither team was able to score against Palmer or Young. With less than 30 seconds to go, Victoria pulled Palmer to give the Royals the man advantage when Johnny Hooker stole the puck and made it 3-1. With two seconds left in the game, Riley Heidt shot the puck towards the Royals open net to score, ending the game 4-1 for the Cougars.
With the loss ending the six-day road trip for the Royals, GM and Head Coach Dan Price is looking forward to a day off to prepare for the upcoming games at home this weekend.
"That was an excellent hockey game tonight between two very depleted teams who both worked hard. Credit to Prince George for capitalizing on their chances and making several key shot blocks with the lead. Both goalies were very good tonight, too. We're looking forward to getting back to Victoria and preparing for Vancouver and Everett," Price said.
The Royals are back on home ice on Friday as they welcome the Vancouver Giants for Bell Let's Talk Night, a game that supports the annual "Bell Let's Talk' campaign designed to break the stigma surrounding mental illness and to support mental health across Canada. Then on Saturday the 22nd, the Everett Silvertips are in Victoria for the Royals Halfway to Summer Jam game.
For tickets to upcoming Royals games, visit the Victoria Royals ticketing page or call the Select Your Ticket box office at 250-220-7777.
The Royals are also offering two holiday ticket packages for fans this season. Buy four vouchers for $70 or six for $100 and receive a special Royals gift. This offer is valid until January 31, 2021.
Images from this story
Victoria Royals right wing Matthew Hodson (center) vs. the Prince George Cougars
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 20, 2022
- From Czechia to the WHL, Marek Alscher Is Making His Mark in Portland - Portland Winterhawks
- Larson Excited to Finish His WHL Debut Career Close to Home - Moose Jaw Warriors
- ICE Sign Marsden - Winnipeg Ice
- Howe Emerging as One of Top '05 Born Players in the WHL - Regina Pats
- Bear Hughes Named Team Captain for Remainder of 2021-22 Season - Spokane Chiefs
- Blades Preparing for Back-To-Back Theme Nights - Saskatoon Blades
- Cougars Take Fourth Straight by Sweeping Victoria - Prince George Cougars
- Royals End Road Trip with 4-1 Loss against Cougars - Victoria Royals
- Warriors Roll over Hitmen in 8-2 Victory - Moose Jaw Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Victoria Royals Stories
- Royals Announce Signing of Third Overall Pick Cole Reschny to Standard Player Agreement
- Royals Select 10 in Thursday's WHL Prospect Draft
- Royals Select Forward Cole Reschny with Third Overall Pick in 2022 WHL Prospects Draft
- Royals Select Forwards Rui Han and Zach Spagnuolo in WHL US Priority Draft
- Royals Sign Defenceman Matthew Keller