Romero, Arencibia Lead Three Hit Shutout Over Beavers
PORTLAND, Ore. - J.P. Arencibia hit a three-run homer and Buck Coats also had three RBIs while Davis Romero and three relievers combined to toss a three-hit shutout to lead the Las Vegas 51s to an 8-0 victory over the Portland Beavers before 3,011 Tuesday night at PGE Park.
Romero (2-3), who started in place of scheduled starter Brian Burres, struck out five over five two-hit, shutout innings for Las Vegas before giving way to Brian Wolfe, Casey Janssen and Bubbie Buzachero.
Travis Snider and Brian Dopirak each also collected two hits for the visiting 51s (49-55).
The Beavers meanwhile got a decent spot start from Eulogio De La Cruz (0-4), who allowed just three hits and a walk over five frames but gave up two runs to take the loss.
Mike Baxter tallied a pair of singles for the Beavers (46-58), who managed just three base runners while losing for a season-high fourth straight time at home.
Dopirak led off the third inning with a single and Aaron Mathews drew a walk to follow. Angel Sanchez replaced Mathews on the basepaths with a force out before Coats lined a double into the right-center gap to bring home the first two runs of the game.
With one out in the sixth, Randy Ruiz walked and Snider singled to center. That set up Arencibia, who belted reliever Matt Teague's first offering off the brick wall behind the left field fence.
The 51s added three more runs in the ninth off Jon Ellis, scoring on an RBI ground-rule double by Coats, an error on third baseman Peter Ciofrone and a bases-loaded walk to Snider.
The Beavers and 51s continue their four-game series Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific) on FSN.
NOTES: Portland right fielder Danny Putnam started the game with a sparkling defensive play, robbing Coats of a leadoff homer at the right field wall ... former Beaver Kevin Howard started at third base in his first game at PGE Park since being traded to the 51s in May.
ROMERO, ARENCIBIA LEAD THREE-HIT SHUTOUT OVER BEAVERS
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 28, 2009
- Romero, Arencibia Lead Three Hit Shutout Over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Haeger Hamstrings 'Hawks in 6-2 Complete-Game Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Z's Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Open Homestand With 6-1 Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Rip Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- RedHawks at Isotopes Tonight - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Strike Out Breast Cancer, Bark in the Park, Paul Revere and the Raiders Top Beavers Homestand - Portland Beavers
- Zephyrs hosting Hornets Night this Sunday - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sarpy County Stadium Groundbreaking Scheduled - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces Hang On For 7-6 Win - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.