Aces Hang On For 7-6 Win
FRESNO, Calif.-Rusty Ryal and Chris Snyder hit back-to-back homers in the first inning Monday night, and the Aces withstood a late Fresno rally to earn a series split with a 7-6 victory over the Grizzlies in the series finale at Chukchansi Park.
Reno took an early 3-0 lead, only to see it slip away as Fresno tied the score at 4-4 through three innings. A three-run Reno fifth inning put the Aces in the driver's seat, but the Grizzlies weren't finished. Fresno pushed across a run in sixth and one more in the eighth to pull to within one, but that would be as close as the Grizzlies would get.
Aces starter Tony Barnette (8-7) worked 5.1 innings, surrendering five runs on nine hits in the winning effort. Barnette walked one and struck out four. Doug Slaten worked 1.2 scoreless frames, and Scott Dohmann earned his second save after tossing the final two innings.
Fresno starter Steve Hammond (7-9) took the loss, surrendering seven earned runs on nine hits over four innings of work. Hammond walked three and punched out three.
Ryal finished his day 3-for-4 with two runs scored and one driven in. Snyder finished with two hits, two runs and two RBIs. Chris Roberson knocked in two, as did Cole Gillespie, who hit his first home run as an Ace.
The Aces now head home to kick-off an eight-game homestand. First up is the Tacoma Rainiers, Triple-A Affiliate of the Seattle Mariners. In the opener, RHP Seth Etherton (8-6, 4.76 ERA) gets the nod for Reno. Tacoma turns to RHP Gaby Hernandez (3-8, 6.32 ERA). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. PT.
For tickets, stop by the Aces Ballpark Box Office, call (775) 334-7000 or visit www.RenoAces.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 28, 2009
- Romero, Arencibia Lead Three Hit Shutout Over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Haeger Hamstrings 'Hawks in 6-2 Complete-Game Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Z's Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Open Homestand With 6-1 Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Rip Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- RedHawks at Isotopes Tonight - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Strike Out Breast Cancer, Bark in the Park, Paul Revere and the Raiders Top Beavers Homestand - Portland Beavers
- Zephyrs hosting Hornets Night this Sunday - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sarpy County Stadium Groundbreaking Scheduled - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces Hang On For 7-6 Win - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.