Romell Quioto Named 2020 Impact MVP
MONTREAL - Honduran forward Romell Quioto was named Montreal Impact MVP for the 2020 season, winning the Giuseppe-Saputo Trophy, the team has announced Friday, while Luis Binks was named Defensive Player of the Year for the club.
"I think there's no surprise in these choices for the club's individual honours in 2020," declared Montreal Impact sporting director Olivier Renard. "I want to congratulate these two players, who have brought a lot to the group, and have achieved great things during the season. I hope they'll be able to contribute as much, and even more in the future, to help this team perform and achieve its objectives."
The Honduran international was the Impact's best goal scorer and passer for the 2020 regular season, tallying 8 goals, including 2 game-winning goals, and 6 assists in 19 games, of which he started 17, cumulating 1,483 minutes of play. His 8 goals were a personal best for him in MLS. He also scored one goal during the MLS Cup playoffs, on November 20, against the New England Revolution. He played the full 90 minutes in that game.
Quioto was also on the shortlist for the league's MVP title.
Quioto was acquired by the Montreal Impact on November 20, 2019, from the Houston Dynamo, in return for Argentine centre back Victor Cabrera and $100,000 in GAM.
Binks also honoured
British centre back Luis Binks has played 21 regular season matches, including 20 starts, with the Impact, for a total of 1,762 minutes. Binks also started one game in the MLS Cup playoffs, playing the full 90 minutes.
He was among the nominees for MLS Defender of the Year and Best Young Player awards, and was 11th on the league's best 22 under 22 list.
Binks was acquired on February 18, 2020, from English side Tottenham Hotspur FC.
Giuseppe-Saputo Trophy winners (in MLS):
2020: Romell Quioto
2019: Orji Okwonkwo
2018: Ignacio Piatti
2017: Ignacio Piatti
2016: Ignacio Piatti
2015: Ignacio Piatti
2014: Andrés Romero
2013: Marco Di Vaio
2012: Patrice Bernier
Defensive Player of the Year winners (in MLS):
2020: Luis Binks
2019: Bacary Sagna
2018: Evan Bush
2017: Daniel Lovitz
2016: Hassoun Camara
2015: Laurent Ciman
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 18, 2020
- Sounders FC Announces New Partnership with Ticketmaster, Marking Rave Green's Return to the World's Leading Ticketing Provider - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Faces Club American Tomorrow in SCCL Semifinals - Los Angeles FC
- Academy Spotlight: The Future Is Bright for the Young Lions - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Trades Midfielder Brandt Bronico to Charlotte FC - Chicago Fire FC
- Sounders FC Announces 2020 Team Awards - Seattle Sounders FC
- Club to Change Identity - Club de Foot Montreal
- The Montreal Impact Foundation Donates Backpacks and Masks - Club de Foot Montreal
- Atlanta United Hires Gabriel Heinze as Head Coach - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Annual Team Award Winners After 2020 MLS Cup Championship Season - Columbus Crew SC
- Inter Miami CF Signs First Academy Product Felipe Valencia as a Homegrown Player - Inter Miami CF
- MLS 101: Homegrown Players - Inter Miami CF
- Romell Quioto Named 2020 Impact MVP - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.