MLS 101: Homegrown Players
Inter Miami recently announced 15-year-old winger Felipe Valencia as the Club's first Academy product signed as a Homegrown Player. But what is a Homegrown Player?
What is a Homegrown Player?
The concept may be foreign to Inter Miami fans who are new to the league, but Homegrown Players are an important player acquisition mechanism in MLS. It's one of a number of designations a player can carry on a roster with unique roster building implications.
Specifically, a Homegrown Player is a player signed to a club's First Team who has lived in the club's territory and spent at least one year in the club's academy. The Homegrown Player mechanism allows clubs to sign players to their roster without subjecting them to the MLS SuperDraft.
Why does it matter?
Clubs may use up to $200,000 of their currently available Targeted Allocation Money to sign new Homegrown Players to their first MLS contract, subject to review and approval by MLS. Additionally, a Homegrown Player's salary does not count against the team's salary cap.
In simpler terms, Homegrown Player signings provide clubs with added financial flexibility in building their rosters.
Who are some notable Homegrown Players?
Since the rules came into effect, a number of players have forged standout careers that began with an MLS Homegrown contract. Notably, former Vancouver Whitecaps and current Bayern Munich star Alphonso Davies, whose record as youngest USL goalscorer was bested by Felipe Valencia, began his career as an MLS Homegrown Player. Additionally, former Seattle Sounders and current Newcastle United F.C. right back DeAndre Yedlin was the first MLS Homegrown to feature on a United States World Cup roster.
A number of active MLS Homegrowns, meanwhile, continue to star in the league. In 2020, three Homegrown Players were named to the MLS Best XI presented by Home Depot for the first time. The Supporters' Shield-winning Philadelphia Union were guided by two Homegrowns in the league's Best XI in midfielder Brenden Aaronson and defender Mark McKenzie, while the MLS Cup runners-up Seattle Sounders were spearheaded by Homegrown star and MLS Best XI forward Jordan Morris. Evidently, teams have found success behind the strength of stellar Homegrown talents.
Does Inter Miami have any other Homegrown Players?
Valencia becomes the third player signed by the Club as a Homegrown, after midfielder David Norman Jr. and goalkeeper Drake Callender. Norman Jr. carried his Homegrown Player tag as he joined via the Club's trade with the Vancouver Whitecaps on Sept. 5, 2019, while the Club acquired Callender's Homegrown Player rights in a trade with San Jose on Nov. 12, 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 18, 2020
- Sounders FC Announces New Partnership with Ticketmaster, Marking Rave Green's Return to the World's Leading Ticketing Provider - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Faces Club American Tomorrow in SCCL Semifinals - Los Angeles FC
- Academy Spotlight: The Future Is Bright for the Young Lions - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Trades Midfielder Brandt Bronico to Charlotte FC - Chicago Fire FC
- Sounders FC Announces 2020 Team Awards - Seattle Sounders FC
- Club to Change Identity - Club de Foot Montreal
- The Montreal Impact Foundation Donates Backpacks and Masks - Club de Foot Montreal
- Atlanta United Hires Gabriel Heinze as Head Coach - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Annual Team Award Winners After 2020 MLS Cup Championship Season - Columbus Crew SC
- Inter Miami CF Signs First Academy Product Felipe Valencia as a Homegrown Player - Inter Miami CF
- MLS 101: Homegrown Players - Inter Miami CF
- Romell Quioto Named 2020 Impact MVP - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF Partners with Monaco Cocktails for the 2021 Season
- Inter Miami CF Exercises Offseason Buyout on Matías Pellegrini
- Inter Miami CF to Kick off 2021 Season at Home against the LA Galaxy
- Inter Miami CF Signs Defender Sami Guediri from Fort Lauderdale CF
- Inter Miami CF to Kick off 2021 Season with New Facebook and Instagram AR Filter