Rodriguez drives in 5 in loss in Brooklyn
Brooklyn, NY- Nellie Rodriguez returned home to New York City and delivered the performance of his young career. Rodriguez accounted for all 5 of the Scrappers runs, including 2 homeruns, but it wasn't enough as the Brooklyn Cyclones beat the Scrappers, 7-5.
Rodriguez playing in his first professional game in his hometown gave his cheering section a lot to cheer for. In the top of the 4th inning Rodriguez blasted a solo homerun. In the top of the 6th inning with Juan Herrera at second base, Rodriguez lifted an RBI double to centerfield. He delivered a 2 run single in the 7th inning. In the top of the 9th inning, Nellie blasted a tape measure homerun deep into the Brooklyn night.
Dace Kime (0-1) started for the Scrappers. He went 2 innings and allowed 1 run on 2 hits. Kime struck out 2 and didn't walk a batter. Harold Guerrero followed and was only able to work 0.1 of an inning. He allowed 5 runs on 3 hits. He walked 1 and hit a batter. Briely Puerta went 2.2 innings and didn't allow a run while walking 1 and striking out 3. Rafael Homblert allowed 1 run on a leadoff homerun in the 6th inning. He went 1 inning allowing just the 1 hit. Ben Heller followed and worked 1.2 innings without allowing a hit or run. He exited after being struck on the right arm by a line drive. Manuel Carmona finished the game for Mahoning Valley.
The Scrappers and Cyclones will continue their series on Thursday when Kenny Mathews takes the mound at 7:00pm.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from July 17, 2013
- Five in a Row - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Caldwell's Quartet of Hits Helps Power Spikes Past Spinners 8-2 - State College Spikes
- CT Tigers Hold off Jammers - Connecticut Tigers
- IronBirds Keep Rolling, Win 5-1 - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Late Comeback Effort Falls Short in 8-6 Loss to Muckdogs - Staten Island Yankees
- Traveling Woes for Spinners in Loss, 8-2 - Lowell Spinners
- Rodriguez drives in 5 in loss in Brooklyn - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Vermont Opens Homestand With 5-1 Loss On Wednesday - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Cutters Kids Camp to be Held August 3 - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Spikes vs. Spinners - Game Notes - July 17, 2013 - State College Spikes
- Team Announces Dominican Dinner for Charity - Williamsport Crosscutters
- IronBirds vs. Lake Monsters - July 17, 2013 - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Staten Island Yankees' Breast Health Awareness Night Set For July 21st - Staten Island Yankees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.